(Open) A Simple Errand
August 26th 2017, 1:28 pm
Hoshiko

Mana Monolith [WIP]
August 22nd 2017, 2:57 pm
Rambles

Staff
Updates
10.3.2017 - A mysterious light filled the Sea of Skies. Those who wielded great power and abilities found themselves back at square one, as if reset.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Alexander
Accursed Dreamer

Skill Lvl. 1
Name: Malignant Pressure
Element(s): Darkness
Duration: Continuous, Toggled
Cooldown: Three Posts
Effects: Alexander and his weapons are imbued with the power of darkness. This deals extra damage on contact with Alexander or the items he is touching equivalent to low-average damage. When this ability is toggled on or off, Alexander's form is coated in a visible aura of darkness.

Skill Lvl. 2
Name: Force of Will
Element(s): N/A
Duration: N/A
Cooldown: N/A
Effects: Alexander has psychic potential, and focuses it on items in his environment. He can lift two objects at once that weigh up to fifty pounds a piece, or one object weighing one-hundred pounds. These objects are manipulated within a nine-foot radius, and are treated as though Alexander is touching them. While there is a weight limit, until that weight limit is hit the mobility and speed of the objects remains unchanged. If an object ventures outside of the range it will either fall to the ground as it has left the range of control, or if the object can be summoned it will de-summon itself. Alexander can not manipulate objects that are currently being held by another person, but if somebody grabs one of his objects while he is manipulating it the effect will not be broken- Alexander was the first person in that case to be "touching" the object.

Skill Lvl. 3
Name: Monster Reborn
Element(s): Cure
Duration: 10 posts
Cooldown: 10 Posts
Effects: If Alexander sustains damage that would kill him, this ability automatically triggers. Alexander will automatically resurrect one turn after death with a moderate amount of health.

Skill Lvl. 4
Name: Restore
Element(s): Cure/Metal/Time
Effects: If Alexander's Dissident arm, an item connected to Alexander's Dissident arm or an item with the ability One Third is destroyed, this ability causes it to be restored ten posts later. In the event that multiple items satisfying the above conditions are destroyed, this ability will only restore them one at a time.

Skill Lvl. 5
Name: Dissident Arm
Element(s): Metal
Duration: Passive
Cooldown: N/A
Effects: This is Alexander's right arm, twisted beyond recognition as his own by a curse that once granted him great power. Within the arm itself the magic of an evil god has mutated, granting it greater power than before. As of a part of Alexander's body, it is naturally affected by anything cast on Alexander. This arm is metallic in nature, and Alexander can shape it into various other shapes such as swords and even other comparable but more fragile hands, but can not increase its mass.

Skill Lvl. 6
Name: Temporal Folds
Element(s): Darkness/Time
Effects:  Using this method, Alexander can call any objects that he knows about whether he possesses it or not, as long as they fit the requirements to be used by force of will. This can include anything from boxes of items to weapons. Alexander's left arm reaches through the folds of time, and he manages to 'borrow' that object from another timeline. Alexander can only do this with objects that he has had significant interaction with in this timeline, including objects that belong to others. This can not be used on summon-able objects.

Last edited by Alexander on March 4th 2017, 11:57 am; edited 19 times in total

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
MAG : 5
First skill should be triggered and needs a cool down. "This second hit bypasses armor." get rid of this as I consider it an extra effect.

Second skill cannot have their independent actions and must be shared actions. You may only be able to control two weapons at a time.

Third skill, cool downs cannot exceed ten posts.

Fourth skill is an area of effect and needs done in a wave or some way that allows counterplay. It cannot be an autohit. "Additionally, each attack he lands 'eats' one action from the opponent it strikes, stealing that time from the future." is an additional effect, and also not allowed, and should be removed.

Fifth skill is an autohit and also has too many effects. Skills can only have one effect. You cannot gain extra actions, for future reference.

Sixth skill is essentially trying to get around the stat cap (12) as well as buffs (50%). You can increase agility, but not actions themselves. This is makes you have AGI20 for a post, even if you sacrifice a latter post's action.

Since this tree seems to have the focus of manipulating actions, I'll let you know, and anybody in the future who may be referencing this for their skill trees for similar ideas, that doing so is not allowed and it will most likely never be allowed. The only way you can ever increase your actions is to increase the agility stat itself.

Back to top Go down

Alexander
I'm going to bring this around and see what I can trim from it, but to offer my defense there is nothing in any of the sections directly relevant to skills that I am looking at, such as  that topic thing that mentions that they don't have extra effects. That would have been super handy to know earlier, but if it is elsewhere on the site I do apologize for missing it, and I would suggest it being made more readily apparent so dummies like me don't derp.

What would I have to do to control more than two weapons? The ability as itself is pretty standard, minus the whole 'can't pull very well at all' deal so I guess if I dropped that giant drawback I could push it down to one. So if I keep the drawback, what tier skill does it need to be for five weapons? Alternatively, could I just make my synth weapons float and control them more deftly by burning up a slot on each of them? If that's a better alternative, I'm all for it.

The fourth skill needs a range, then? If you're leaving me to find a counter play for slow motion I would point out that on a site that has such competative elements forcing the player themselves to drill a giant hole in their own ability would be troublesome because they'll inherently try to get most that is fair to themselves. I already clearly don't know the limits of the meta yet, so I would instead ask what you would propose for the fourth skill.

The fifth skill is actually not an autohit, though I had known it would come up. The skill buffs Alexander against specific foes, rather than simply buffing him against every foe. The act of desginating a foe is no more complicated than saying "I fully intend to murder this person, today, and try ever harder at doing it." It would be like declaring a resistance or advantage to an element due to an ability, only it is against specific people at a tiime. Nevertheless, that is a moot argument since the premise of the skill would be erased, and I am afraid this particular one will not survive.

I won't argue but will point out that it does strike me odd that you will introduce movement resources that can be measured in increments of time into a combat system in order to better control it, but will not allow that resource to be augmented or spent through any way at all, period, even against the time element which has a decided use that would definitely affect how actions would be used if an ability like Haste or Slow was cast. It seems that I can indirectly influence actions by saying I have impeded a person's movement, but I can not specifically dictate in what regard even though in a numerically measurable system that would be decidedly more consistent across competitive RPs and fair to both users who have a full understanding well in advance what those abilities can do which would lend itself to the players being able to better chose their engagements.

Its a bit of a mechanical quandary. I'm not going to fixate on that, and I will concede most certainly, nor do you actually have to defend yourself here as I will not respond back to you on what amounts to an aside and opinion piece. I did feel a powerful need to point it out while it was in beta so it could be a staff discussion.

Last edited by Alexander on February 10th 2017, 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
I've added this ruling to the topic, as we're still working things out.

Dedicate more skills (2 per skill) or make it non-passive. Also, you'll need to add a range if you intended to keep it.

Yes it needs a range. An example would be a visible wave that comes from you and travels at a certain speed.

It's an autohit because you auto-target them. They cannot avoid this and there is no counter.

The actions are directly tied into the Agility stat. The other stats have the same limitations.

Back to top Go down

Alexander
Wouldn't it make sense for a stronger skill to allow for more weapons to be held, or all skill slots the same power? Could I feasibly just enchant the weapon to levitate under the same parameters?

I will say that I strongly feel designating a target is not the same as hitting them with an ability, and all the counter play that could be required would be that they aren't detectable by abilities. I have already made the previous argument above which hasn't been adequately addressed in a manner that would traditionally leave me satisfied enough to stop. That said, I will not press the issue further as I do understand that beta is beta is beta, and I also am no confident in my own assertions.

Okay, I will accept and work within these limitations.

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
All skills have the same power.

Back to top Go down

Alexander
Okay so round two lesgo

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
Skill 2: What do you mean by destroy? If Alex breaks an opponent's sword, it explodes?

Skill 4: Increase the cool down to 10 or reduce duration to 1 post.

Skill 6: you can halve the cool down.

Back to top Go down

Alexander
Yep! Boom goes the dynamite!

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
Skill 2: so if you pick up a twig? also, wouldn't the explosion also hurt you?

Back to top Go down

Alexander
Hmm, the twig example poses a great question! I'll defer the answer of twigs and improvised weaponry for you to answer! I didn't give that much thought, to be honest. I was picturing fairly standard weaponry for the ability.

And I would have to say yes! Despite the explosion originating from me, I have no reasonable condition why the same explosion would not also hurt me. So, for clarity, this explosion does indeed deal damage to me as well.

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
Probably weapons/armor/synthesis only, since you can conveniently pick up twigs at your leisure and have infinite ammo.

Add a range to the explosion.

Back to top Go down

Alexander
Alright, the range has been edited!

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
Approved.

I would like to mention that I appreciate your cooperation through this approval. It's been very pleasant, and I'm glad you've returned to the site.

Back to top Go down

Alexander
Aw, thanks Shirou! With recent updates I've had to make some changes though in order to make this character fit better in the system as I envisioned! While not perfect, I look forward to working with you to ensure a balanced version of my character! Yay teamwork!

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
Skill 3 has too many effects. Rrssurection is one effect while the healing afterwards over time is another effect.

Skill 4 does not seem like a skill that'd be inherent tonthe character, and rather a regular time ability.

Back to top Go down

Alexander
Changed!

Back to top Go down

Alexander
Bump!

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
Skill 4 seems like a way to metagame, even if you need an inkling of it happening, and find out things you shouldn't know.

Back to top Go down

Alexander
Would you have an idea for a perhaps more fair alternative? I was attempting to have in some way or form the power known as Retrocognition. If there is no way, then I will simply scrap the ability. But if there is some way, I would very much like to make use of it!

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
The only way I think this would work if you had the consent of the other people to view their past moments or NPC/story related reasons. In either case, that can be considered passive magic, which doesn't take up a slot.

Back to top Go down

Alexander
Passive Magic sounds like an interesting concept, and I might attempt to explore it further with other members. More to the point however, I have edited in a new ability!

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
Sorry to back track, but your arm regenerating is a separate effect and should be a different skill. (If this arm in particular is destroyed, it will reform ten posts later.)

Back to top Go down

Alexander
Edited!

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
Approved.

Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top