(Open) A Simple Errand
August 26th 2017, 1:28 pm
Hoshiko

Mana Monolith [WIP]
August 22nd 2017, 2:57 pm
Rambles

Staff
Updates
10.3.2017 - A mysterious light filled the Sea of Skies. Those who wielded great power and abilities found themselves back at square one, as if reset.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Galter
MAG : 1
There was much time that passed, and Galter grew tired and angry. He expected a doorway as he followed the soldiers through their portal, but instead he found a great corridor of shadows and darkness, winding through a reality he'd never laid eyes upon before then. He followed it swiftly, and on his way through he was met with more of the black soldiers who'd dared to attack the kingdom he served behind his back. He tore through them with little thought, hostile or otherwise, allowing himself no room to slow down in his pursuit of the original party. Only after he lost track of the time he spent within that strange between-realm did a light begin to shine ahead of him, broken apart by the silhouettes of the offending beings he'd been chasing. One final charge forward, and he caught them just as they passed beyond that final light...

The alley, otherwise dark and barely lit by the neon lights of the town, bore little of interest before the portal appeared. Several stout creatures stormed through, wearing ragged leathers and minimal helmets. Their fingers were tipped with long talons of red, and they flailed carelessly in the air as the Soldiers sprinted along, away from the portal. One had fallen behind, emerging from the purple field long after the others had left. From inside the portal came Galter, a mass of steel and cloth soaring through the air until he landed on top of the Soldier. The greatsword he held cleaved downward on his landing, meeting the Soldier and forcing it down against the pavement. There it dispersed, black smoke spreading away and floating up from where it once lay. It was just like all the others, who left no trace when they perished, but instead drifted away to join whatever else wandered invisibly in the clouds above.

They were not men, that much was clear. They were something inhuman, with no words or mercy to spare for the people they attacked. In such short time seeing them, Galter had already grown an immense hatred of the things, who had come in portals unannounced and tore through defenders and civilians alike while he was away, searching other lands in hopes of finding the thief who had taken his greatshield, an essential tool for defending his king. After seeing the relentless attack launched by these surely unfeeling creatures, he'd concluded that the thief was most certainly connected to them, and that seeking out the army's origin would guide him to reclaiming it. This was his current objective, and one he would not abandon. Until it was complete, he would not be worthy of returning to his home- Though they had insisted they did not blame him, he blamed himself, and this was the punishment he'd passed upon himself for his failure.

And now, he was here. From under his half-helm, he peered around himself, seeing that he was still in some sort of city, but nothing but the stone under his feet was familiar. Rather than the gray of castle grounds, he saw red stones in the walls, and brightly-shining line that seemed to float in the air, forming text in a language he did not understand. The alley was lit by them, and he had assumed it was still daytime, but looking upward through the buildings he could see that it was actually in the deep of night. What kingdom this was, he couldn't tell, but he knew from the first moment that it wasn't his.

(587 words)

Last edited by Galter on February 22nd 2017, 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Galter
Quite clearly, it wasn't safe either, as more black voids appeared in the walls. There were a total of three, and from inside them came smaller black creatures, which wore no armor or clothing, and flattened once they touched the ground. They slid forward until they were close to him, then returned to their three-dimensional forms again. Galter paid them no real mind, and brought his sword to the side in his left hand, ready to swing. The steel came hurtling toward them, and moved through all three in a smooth motion...

They were caught by the large blade and carried with it until he reached the end of his swing. The steel tip landed in the pavement, and the three black beings were ejected from it, colliding with the wall and falling back down. They didn't fade, however, and this struck Galter as odd. All the ones he'd seen cut down would disappear, but these remained. More than that, they planted their stubby claws in the ground, pushed up and returned to a stand, twitching with just as much vigor as before. As if to taunt him, several more were already seeping out of the walls as they crept closer. This was a problem.

The knight lifted his greatsword and planted it firmly against his shoulder. He leapt over their heads- an easy feat considering his height advantage -and committed the ultimate sin of knighthood. He fled from them into the yard beyond, a large, clear, paved area with two tall sconces near the center. On two sides were large, wooden gates, and to his left was a stairway leading to more of the town. The creatures of darkness refused to follow him, remaining inside the shadowed alleyway and opting to glare at him instead. He preferred such an ending, as he saw no end to them just yet, and if they could simply shrug off the swing of as fine a blade as his, then there was little chance he could slay them fast enough to compensate. He regretted bringing no one with him, and at the same time praised himself for that very mistake. No other warrior from his home would put up any greater fight than he would, and he would not wish such a foe upon them. If his error meant only he had to probe this odd new opponent, then he would gladly commit to it. Still, there was little indication as to what their weakness would be. Fire, perhaps? They seemed afraid of the sconces in the yard, and that allowed him some safety, so maybe something so simple as the dragon-slaying lightning magic of home would be enough to counter them properly... Or perhaps not. It would need some experimentation, but he would conquer them eventually.

(587+464=1051 words)

Last edited by Galter on February 5th 2017, 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
MAG : 5
The store near the top of the stairs opened and out stepped Hoshiko. She closed the door behind her gently and turned around. She stretched, throwing her arms up into the air, and yawned. "This town always makes me so sleepy," she muttered to herself, rubbing her eyes with her arm.

When she lowered her arm, she saw an interesting sight before her. There seemed to be a man dressed up as a knight in front of her, or actually, it was probably a real knight who had recently lost his world. This world was known for taking in refugees. Hoshiko felt a stab of pity at the sight.

"Hey there," she called out, waving her arm as she began to approach him. Perhaps he could use his help?

(129 words)

Back to top Go down

Galter
There was a sound from someplace past the stairs, and upon turning Galter saw that one of the buildings' door had been opened, and through it came someone who seemed to be civilian. A woman, specifically, donning the most peculiar garb. The first thing that confused him was that, rather than a gown or skirt of any sort, her legs were covered by trousers with painfully narrow pantlegs. Above was an untucked white shirt, covered by an open coat of a deep green color. Perhaps the only normal-looking thing she was wearing was the scarf, which was dyed red for whatever reason. Perhaps it represented some kind of societal role? His cloak was somewhat similar in that respect, so at least there was one thing he understood about the woman's alien apparel.

She approached, greeting him, and immediately he questioned her awareness. A quick turn of the head, and he found that the peering eyes were gone from their place in the alleyway. Considering he'd already witnessed their tendency to appear from nothing, it was not a comforting change.

He'd not simply ignore a greeting, however, and the creatures were gone, at least, for now. He turned to her proper, and let his greatsword rest flat against his back. He turned his right shoulder to her, offering a slight bow. It didn't bring their heights equal, as he was significantly taller to begin with, but it was more courtesy than not responding at all. "Hello to you, ma'am," he returned her greeting. "I must ask- Are you not aware of the creatures lurking in those shadows? They've proven formidable, and so I must warn you that it can't be very safe to wander these roads with them loose." Just seeing her apparel, it was clear he was not looking at a soldier. She would be much safer behind the stone walls she'd left.

(1051+313=1364 words)

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
Hoshiko stopped a few feet away from the man and listened quietly as he told her about creatures in the shadow? "Oh, you must mean the heartless," Hoshiko said in realization, nodding. Though, this seemed to confirm her suspicions that this guy had come here unknowingly.

She smiled when he seemed worried about her well being. "I'm tougher than I look, I suppose you could say. Heartless don't give me any trouble."

(201 words)

Back to top Go down

Galter
Galter resisted the initial urge to scoff at her confidence, and needed to silently remind himself that, in the face of the unknown, he had no right to. Though she didn't seem to brandish any armor or weapons that he could see, he was aware of some parts of his own military which, rather than fighting on the front lines with heavy steel, would pursue enemies in the shadows instead. Beyond that, there was the rare mage, who fought purely with thought and theory instead of with typical weapons of war. There was every chance in the world that this stranger was either one of the latter.

She also seemed to be knowledgeable about the creatures he'd seen, and even referred to them with a title. "'Heartless', you called them? Are they as cruel to your kind as they are to mine?" It was clear from the start that he was nowhere near his home kingdom, so it wasn't too much of a surprise that these 'Heartless' had appeared here first. The thought worried him, however. How far down the chopping block was his home, that hamlets like this saw the Heartless as more of a pest than a national threat? "You speak of them rather casually," he noted. "I take it that the people here have learned how to counter their odd resilience." Even now, he couldn't shake off the earlier fight. Such a small thing shouldn't be mildly inconvenienced by a greatsword in full swing, let alone the wall it was thrust into afterward. If this stranger knew their weakness, then it may be a good idea to try pressing her for information on them. They certainly didn't intimidate her, and whether that was because she was a fool or because she was prepared had yet to be seen.

(1364+301=1665 words)

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
"Heartless are these beings of darkness that hunt for the hearts of people, so they're hostile to pretty much everybody," Hoshiko explained, trying to make it brief. "They're a common occurrence around these, um, parts, so people usually avoid them and leave them to adventurers or the city guard."

At the notion of their supposed resilience, Hoshiko looked at his blade on his shoulder. It could be that it was made out of material that didn't really affect the Heartless. She frowned, thinking, and then suddenly snapped her fingers, remembering something. She began to rummage through her messenger bag.

"Got it," she said as she pulled out an entire great sword from her bag. She lifted it with ease in one hand and then offered it to the knight. "Take this."

Back to top Go down

Galter
From the way she described them, these things called 'Heartless' were apparently infallibly grim things, which hunted men indiscriminately to feed on their hearts. It was a rather specific practice, and one that seemed more akin to a cult than the invading army he'd seen, but it was of a fitting degree of evil for the wretched things. They certainly didn't seem very personable, let alone merciful or honorable, so perhaps a habit of heart-eating wasn't very outlandish in comparison.

...But there were still stranger things, as before his very eyes she drew her hand from a bag that couldn't have been much larger than her head, and within her grasp was the hilt of a full-length greatsword. With but a single hand, she brought it upward, urging it toward him as if she were a barkeep handing a patron her latest brew- And with less effort spent. What sort of sorcery might have caused such a phenomenon, he could never have guessed.

It put him off, made him immensely uncomfortable. She was but a portion of his size, a civilian with no physical prowess of any kind to boast, and yet there she stood, hefting a greatsword without really 'hefting' it at all. To her, it was weightless, from the looks of it!

In a matter of hours, he'd seen his home burned, an army of heart-eating demons fall, rise and teleport on a whim, and now there was this oddity of a woman. It took him several moments to gather his thoughts and ask, "Just what sort of magics are at work in this alien place..?"

(1665+268=1933 words)

Last edited by Galter on February 6th 2017, 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
"Several, probably," Hoshiko replied with a straight face. "I'm using Gravity magic with my bag right now, actually. Compressing the space within it so I can fit things like this big ass word. Anyways, take this. I found it on one of my deliveries and thought it might come in handy. I don't need it though."

Back to top Go down

Galter
'Compressing space', she said, explaining it away so easily. 'Gravity magic' was its name, as if it were so obscenely simple that a child would know it by heart. Unbelievable. "I'd no idea the lands beyond the Burg were so complex," came his comment. The thin lights and advanced magics were like nothing that had been invented in the land he came from. Galter took the sword he'd been offered, and as he'd expected it weighed down his right hand just as much as his own sword did the left. She did admit to having used magic to transport the blade, so there was some chance that she was also using a similar spell to lift the thing as well.

There was also the way she'd described it. 'Big ass' were the words she used, and in a way they fit it well. It was large, even for him, and he did take pride in his ability to swing a hefty weapon, so naming it after a mule might be a good idea. Unfortunately, he knew no such animal by any flattering names, so such a ceremony would have to wait for another day. Beyond the strange nature of its introduction, it seemed like a fine piece of steel in its own right. Well balanced, considering its class, and bearing decorum in the hilt that matched well with the crestwork he had in just about everything else he owned. It would fit in well with his equipment.

There was another matter remaining, however, and he turned back to the stranger, asking, "What do I owe you for this gift, ma'am? No smith hands off his works for free, and no peddler resists the chance to mark up." He was prepared to answer this woman's price. If it were a fortune he hadn't with him at the time, then he could likely acquire it one way or another. If it were a price he couldn't pay at all, then there would probably be other places to find such equipment. If this was as hostile an environment as he was being led to believe, then there was no chance that swords would be short in supply.

(1933+364=2297 words)

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
Hoshiko blinked when the knight asked what it would cost him for the sword. She quickly waves her hands in front of her in protest, and said, "No, no, it's yours if you want it, free of charge. If anything, you're helping me out by taking it off my hands. It was just taking of space and I was never going to use it myself, I prefer small weapons really."

She stopped when she realized she was just babbling now and lowered her hands. "Consider it a welcome gift for arriving at this world," she said with a smile. "Is there anything else I can help you with? You must have a lot of questions."

Back to top Go down

Galter
She insisted that the gift carried no cost to him, and he decided not to push the subject. As skeptical as he was of such an overly convenient offer, he wouldn't try too hard to pry at good fortune. Though he kept his own weapon in good maintenance, he'd been cutting with the same old blade for years now. Perhaps, in the end, it was about the time that a replacement was in order. As strange as it'd be to put the original on a proverbial shelf, he'd get used to the new one soon enough, and if he were going to be put against such a resilient opponent as these 'Heartless', An upgrade of any sort was more than welcome.

There was a prompt to ask more, and he welcomed it. It was beyond denial that he was worlds away from any familiar places, so he'd need the assistance. "I came here searching for someone," he explained. "I know not of the society here, and I'm sure that my mark- A thief, to be exact -plans to either lock away or sell what they've stolen from me. Do you know of any discreet market for magical items? Those with protective blessings, and the like?" The motive for having taken his great shield was obvious from the start: Someone either desired or feared it, and for reasons he had few issues discerning.

(2297+232=2529 words) (Level-Up Available!)

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
Hoshiko scratched her cheek absentmindedly as she considered the knight's question. "Uh, not that I can think of," she said slowly, "though there is this world called Agrabah, and if there were ever a black market-kind of place, I'd bet it'd be there first." Hoshiko was in the business of legally exchanging goods, she didn't know much about illegally doing so, unfortunately.

(565 words)

Back to top Go down

Galter
Agrabah. The name made no sense to him. It was certainly not one he'd heard of, and he couldn't find any root words to judge it upon, unless it was simply a nation of consistently angry men. The woman referred to it as if it were another world entirely, which only served to hint further to its unusual nature, even compared to the half-lit township he stood in then.

"And how can I reach this kingdom of Agrabah?" Galter asked her. "If I can gain access to a map, I'll be off to the nearest stable and gone before the next morning." By her words, Agrabah was the most likely nearby place to hold black market commerce. Just judging by her use of the term 'world', however, it was clearly rather far, meaning he'd have to be on his way soon if he were to gain any ground on the thief. The Heartless had their portals, but it seemed their aim was rather off, and he hadn't seen any mounting a steed, not even in battle. Once he had a beast under him, catching up would be easy. Maybe. He had to remind himself that he had no idea what the full extent of these beings' abilities were. Already they'd shown they could use magics superior to those of his own kind, and even that didn't seem to be the total limit.

(2529+232=2761 words)

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
Hoshiko placed an index finger to her chin as she thought. "Well, the most popular mode of transportation is a gummi ship. The place I just came from has them for sale. Other people use Corridors, which are like these portals," she said. "Those are the only two ways that I know of, at least."

Back to top Go down

Galter
"A Gummy... Ship..?" Galter tried to form a mental image of the strange term, but found it difficult. He knew the triremes his Lord contracted were not the cleanliest things to be constructed, but he never could have imagined that a vehicle could be classified by its sticky nature. As he thought on it more, however, he realized that the term might refer to some sort of flexibility. With the presence of advanced magic, such a thing might not be too far out of the question.

He couldn't fathom how to conjur one of the portals for his own use, so his options were rather heavily restricted. "Where can I find one of these vessels?" he asked her, prepared even to set sail if it was necessary. He hadn't been outside of this township, so it was entirely possible that there could be a significant body of water nearby, which would explain the need for a ship. It would also explain why Agrabah was known for its markets. An open port could very easily turn a city into a center of trade.

(2761+182=2943 words)

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
Hoshiko pointed a finger out of the shop at the top of the steps. "You can go there. You kinda need munny though, probably, though I'm sure you'll be able to work out some sort of deal. There are a many people that come here like you, so they're used to that kind of thing."

Back to top Go down

Galter
The mention of money reminded Galter of how ill prepared he really was for this venture. There was no possible way the Lord's Treasury would be able to cover his expenses in a place like this. "Every coin of every color I've ever owned is out of my reach," he lamented quietly. "If so many people suffer as I do, though, then that's no issue to ponder for too long- Quickly, what sort of bounties are up in this town? The hunting of men is always in demand." It was a simple plan, and one he had confidence in: Find a bounty, hunt the mark, buy a ship. Easy.

(2943+109=3052 words)

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
Hoshiko scratched the back of her head, her eyes drifting to the left as she thought. "I know you can get some munny from fighting heartless. I'm sure some people offer payments to get rid of them, like pest control," she said. Her eyes looked back at the knight, quickly scanning his body. "But...do you wanna maybe spar real quick? Things may work differently here for you, so you may have to get used to fighting again. Might be why you had trouble before."

Back to top Go down

Galter
She offered him a spar, and he looked her over once more as he considered it. He saw no arms on her, but he remembered her display of so easily lifting a greatsword, as well as how casually she spoke of advanced magics. He refused to underestimate her, even in something so light as a 'real quick spar'. "I'm not one to back down from a challenge," he boasted, taking a short stroll to the opposite end of the yard and setting his old greatsword on the pavement...

-+=|=+=|=+-

KNIGHT GALTER: 100% HP
25/25 MP

Galter hefted the new weapon in his left hand before settling it on his shoulder. He made no mention of his position in his homeland. He knew full well he wasn't prepared to fight this person earnestly- Even he could tell this place had strange tricks to it. "Whenever you're ready," he prompted her, taking the greatsword in two hands and letting the blade lie parallel across his right forearm, the elbow of which he had pointed at her. He peered over his own bicep at her in this waiting stance.

(3052+179=3231 words)

Last edited by Galter on February 12th 2017, 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
The knight agreed to the fight and went into his fighting stance. Hoshiko nodded and flashed a quick smile. Darkness wrapped around her arms and into her open hands, like mist. It formed two short swords. She then bent her knees and lunged forward (action 1), bringing her blades down upon the knight vertically (action 2).

Back to top Go down

Galter
KNIGHT GALTER: 100% HP
25/25 MP

In one moment, she was empty-handed, and in the next, two unguarded straight swords were in her hands. He was given little time to inspect them, from afar or otherwise, as soon she was mobile. It was a simple maneuver, and a rash one- Surely, it was meant to gauge his abilities with countering, it was so blatant. She soared at him, arms swinging downward with swords in hand. Fortunately, she didn't share the same sort of range his own weapon was blessed with, and with the swing of his right arm and the near-punching follow-through of the other, the greatsword lurched forward, spearing through the air in a great thrust (Action 1) on a path to intercept her lunge.

(3231+120=3351 words)

Last edited by Galter on February 12th 2017, 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
The knight thrust his sword forward, leaving his sides opened up. Hoshiko side stepped it, twisting her body around, (action 1) and turning her downwards slash into a diagonal one that would make contact with his side (action 2).

Back to top Go down

Galter
KNIGHT GALTER: 70% HP
25/25 MP

He wasn't prepared for her at all- Not really. What he'd thought was a valid intercept was made pointless as she simply stepped around it. He'd been sure she was airborne! Her swords came down at an angle, and struck his side unimpeded. Though he'd normally be confident that his armor could stave off the traditional blade, it was immediately clear that these weapons weren't of such a persuasion. They cut through the metal as if it were mere cloth, digging in and embedding themselves in his flank. The cut itself was painful, but beyond that it self a searing burn of some sort, one that wasn't quite that of fire. (Weakness: Dark)

Galter, though taken aback, was not above retaliating. His outstretched arm drifted to the right a bit, then sped to the left toward her, the elbow hugging close to him as the blade came hurtling back around...

(3351+150=3501 words)

Last edited by Galter on February 12th 2017, 12:03 am; edited 4 times in total

Back to top Go down

Hoshiko
Site Owner
Seeing the blade coming towards her, Hoshiko quickly crouched down (action 1), the blade swooshing over her head, while also sweeping one of her legs in an arc towards his legs (action 2).

Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top