» Marionette
Goodnight, sweet prince. EmptyDecember 2nd 2018, 2:31 pm by +/-

» suck on my magnum dong
Goodnight, sweet prince. EmptyOctober 18th 2018, 9:25 pm by Gemini

» It's my birthday.
Goodnight, sweet prince. EmptyOctober 4th 2018, 8:20 pm by Gemini

» EW
Goodnight, sweet prince. EmptySeptember 9th 2018, 3:53 am by Gemini

» What are Your Current Plans for Your Character?
Goodnight, sweet prince. EmptyFebruary 11th 2018, 7:33 pm by Chastelle

Statistics
We have 3557 registered users
The newest registered user is Shirou Seeker of Duckness

Our users have posted a total of 143994 messages in 12544 subjects

Goodnight, sweet prince.

Go down

Goodnight, sweet prince. Empty Goodnight, sweet prince.

Post by Saixor on January 20th 2012, 12:52 am

Megaupload (2005-2012)

You were a dear friend, Megaupload. You'll be missed. We all knew that they were coming after you, but we didn't know just how serious they were. You'll be remembered with nothing but the fondest of memories. Except when you lagged out and made me wait like 30 minutes to download stuff.

May you rest in peace.

Sultan of Agrabah
Saixor
Saixor

Back to top Go down

Goodnight, sweet prince. Empty Re: Goodnight, sweet prince.

Post by Eno on January 20th 2012, 10:03 pm

Its very unfortunate that things turned out how they did. I like using Megaupload in order to download various movies, songs, etc. I'm thinking that they may be coming after youtube next, this really depresses me. One by one each website that just so happens to host something without the consent of the ones that made said something will be taken down and we can't do anything to stop it.

Speed of Light

Eno Vale
Level I: 0/0EXP
Level II: 15,000/15,000EXP
Level III: 19,739/40,000EXP
Level IV: 0/75,000EXP
Level V: 0/120,000EXP
Eno
Eno

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenos on January 20th 2012, 10:16 pm

Yeah...even if SOPA is stopped, I don't think the Internet will still be "free". If they can't take it down all at once, they'll do it one at a time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic on January 20th 2012, 11:14 pm

The question is, what would be next? 4shared, Mediafire, what? Sheesh, I don't wnat the internet to be censored. I am really peeved about this.

[21:03:10] Cool : Saix and I have something in common
[21:03:18] Saix : Boobs?
[21:03:42] Cool : Yes, boobs

Mystic's Theme: It Doesn't Matter ~His World Remix~
Mystic's Elements: Light, Cure, Darkness, Thunder

Goodnight, sweet prince. Bounce10
Mystic
Mystic

http://shugochara.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cloaked One on January 21st 2012, 1:11 am

It sucks that we'll actually have to spend money on music, movies and games that we don't really care enough to go out and buy, but stealing is stealing regardless of how commonplace it has become. The people who put the effort into making the media that everyone simply downloads for free off those kinds of sites are being robbed of money they deserve, especially if you ever download something you enjoy. How would you feel if you worked at a supermarket, did a good job, and didn't get paid for every hour that you worked?

I'm not behind SOPA, and I don't honestly believe the government needs to take the internet as seriously as it has been lately, but with Anonymous behaving as reckless as they have, tearing down business and government sites like screaming children, I'd say this is just desserts. You put a site down for a few hours or days when you had no real right to, they permanently remove one that facilitates crime. The less responsible the people of the internet behave, the more force the government will exert in order to control it, because, unlike Anonymous, the US Congress has power outside these pixels.

Besides, it's only "censoring" that which warrants censor. Sure, there are some sites like Megaupload that have just as many legal files as they do illegal, but the fact is that the people running them aren't doing anything to keep the illegal part out, so the legal uploaders have to suffer for it. If those sites gave half a damn about their legitimate users, who just want a way to get their own, personally created music, movies or games out and into the world, then they would make every effort to purge themselves of any copyright infringing material so everything wouldn't get taken down. Too bad those same sites are usually only popular because people go straight there when they want to steal the song they heard on the radio or that movie that just came out on DVD.
The Cloaked One
The Cloaked One

Back to top Go down

Post by Azmot on January 21st 2012, 1:59 pm

For the most part, I agree with you, Zex. People should pay for something that is worked hard to attain, for something that somebody spent hard hours to create and keep nice. However, something you said just doesn't add up to the current standings on "Megaupload". They, for a LONG time now, have been working to purge illegal activity from their site. First it was the name checking software. They had servers, I'm not sure how many, running through EVERY file uploaded (and any already uploaded) to check for names that coincide with illegal activity; Any file with ROM, FLV, or other file types in their name that would support piracy were automatically deleted. Then, when people started to change names to go around this, they looked at there most downloaded files every week or so, and deleted ones that supported piracy. THEN, when they felt that it wasn't enough, they had people downloading files that seemed suspicious and deleted them (This one is a rumor I heard.)

So, let me ask you this. What more would you do? Also, if these people tried their best to stop piracy, is this not just a fit thrown by the Justice DEP? They had no right to shut down something that tried it's best. If persistent Illegal files are an issue, and they cannot stop all of them; Why not shut down youtube? Tons of files are flown through here. We all Know BitTorrent could use a slap in the ass. Limewire? No, the issue was not because of the illegal files flown through here, it was to show the world, and Anonymous, that they were king of the hill. These people wanted to get them angry, and it worked. Now we have an unstable 5 year old who thinks they own the monkey bars, and 10 kids who want to play. What do you think's gonna happen?
Azmot
Azmot

Back to top Go down

Post by Saixor on January 21st 2012, 3:08 pm

The reason Anonymous has been acting "Like screaming children" as you say, is pretty simple. How can you expect anyone to give a damn about someone or something that doesn't give a damn about them?

The US government has, as of late, completely lost it's shit. It seems to have utterly forgotten that there are citizens, and not just wealthy interest groups. The fact that SOPA/PIPA ever existed (they've been dropped now) is an amazingly insensitive insult in and of itself. 50-60 year old politicians who've never seen the Internet in real life are claiming that they know how to run it better? What? How does that work? You wouldn't ask a supermarket courtesy clerk to perform neurosurgery, and you wouldn't ask a politician to run the Internet.

I don't condone the High-Orbit Ion Cannon, the DDoSing of the FBI, or any of the illegal actions that Anonymous has taken. And I also don't condone petty theft. But, file sharing is not theft. File sharing implies that someone did pay for the CD/DVD/whatever, then decided to share it with the Internet. Is it wrong if I buy a CD, then once I'm tired of listening to it, pass it on to a friend? I don't think there's anyone who'd consider that piracy. If I have a pretty big DVD collection that I don't watch anymore, and a friend wants a few movies, is there anything wrong with giving them to her?

Think about it for a moment; where to movies make most of their money? Box office debuts, duh. Where do musicians get their dough? Concerts, obviously. Well, what about video games?

Ah, video game piracy. Yes, the only instance of downloading that I consider to be morally wrong. Video games don't have a big debut or anything like that. They just come on the shelves, one day. That's their only way to make money.

So yeah, I'll admit that downloading video games is wrong.* But really, outside of that, we're only hurting the obscenely wealthy, and I think they can take it. No, I don't condone class warfare, but do you really think that it's okay for RIAA, MPA, UMG, etc, to be the way they are? I don't, and so, I pirate.

*Unless it's a game that'll never be localized, or is already several years old, then it's okay to download.

Sultan of Agrabah
Saixor
Saixor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cloaked One on January 21st 2012, 5:08 pm

Don't get me wrong, there are hardly any actors or musicians worth paying even minimum wage, let alone the assloads of money they receive because they did that one thing that one time, but stealing is stealing. Stealing bad music is still stealing. Stealing stupid movies is still stealing. Stealing "several year old" games is... still.. stealing. You think those artists and actors suck and are overpaid chimpanzees? Then why are you downloading their garbage in the first place? With that said, what about music and movies you actually enjoy? Do you prefer to not support the media you like by taking it for free from someone else who actually paid for it? Where's the morality there?

And there's nothing wrong with handing an old CD to a friend. Just like buying a gift, one item equals one purchase. However, with a single file being able to explode into hundreds of thousands, that kind of disjoints the comparison. If I could buy a single car and then hand that very same car to a million other people, yet still have my car, it would undoubtedly, and rightfully, cause problems. I find that its easier to think of the problem as counterfeiting, because, really, it's a much more accurate way of depicting it. You're taking a real copy of a file, a legitimate copy purchased from the store, and putting it through a machine to make an infinite number of illicit copies that weren't paid for or produced by the licensed company. So you can win the debate that nothing is actually being stolen, but only if you lose the debate about file sharing being a direct cause of counterfeiting, because the file you have either A) has value that you didn't pay for or B) has no real value and is therefore counterfeit.

Though, upon second glance, I couldn't help but chuckle at the phrase "50-60 year old politicians who've never seen the Internet in real life," as its the best oxymoron I've heard in a long time. Ignoring that, I'd say people who are charged with running towns, counties, states and countries might not be perfect candidates, but they are certainly more capable of running an electronic play place than the spastic kids who decide to routinely abuse it. Especially when those very same kids, who think themselves so noble and wise in their pursuit of internet freedom, decide to huddle together behind a collective hood so they can say and do whatever they want without fear of liability. They're all so dedicated and devout to their cause that they call themselves Anonymous; its just deliciously ironic, isn't it? I can't fathom why the government doesn't take them, and the internet as a whole, into greater consideration.

When a real human being steps up, with a goddamn name and face, to fight this battle on even ground, in the real world, maybe then someone will care enough to listen to what pro-sharers have to say. Until then, you'll all have to be content to sit tight under your blankies and bitch meaninglessly as the government continues to do as they please, because, unfortunately, some people only respect others that actually exist.
The Cloaked One
The Cloaked One

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum