I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Marionette
Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) - Page 2 EmptyDecember 2nd 2018, 2:31 pm by +/-

» suck on my magnum dong
Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) - Page 2 EmptyOctober 18th 2018, 9:25 pm by Gemini

» It's my birthday.
Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) - Page 2 EmptyOctober 4th 2018, 8:20 pm by Gemini

» EW
Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) - Page 2 EmptySeptember 9th 2018, 3:53 am by Gemini

» What are Your Current Plans for Your Character?
Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 11th 2018, 7:33 pm by Chastelle

Statistics
We have 3557 registered users
The newest registered user is Shirou Seeker of Duckness

Our users have posted a total of 143994 messages in 12544 subjects

Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members)

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) - Page 2 Empty Re: Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members)

Post by Zihark on October 15th 2011, 12:41 am

You guys need to chill out. Cliche or not, fighting never solved anything (especially text based arguments that have people 5000 miles away can just shrug off and ignore.) We can completely revamp this site (or not) without deleting everything. It just doesn't have to go down like that.

Shirou, I'm assuming you plan on using Forumotion's "points system" We can decide on a fair percentage from our post counts. 70%-80%? To take out the OOC posts. I'm familiar with that projects. Templates can be remodeled, achievement systems could be implemented, Zex's slot Vs stat exchange was a good idea. We'll tale that in. There is so much you can do if you're looking for a COMPLETE OVERHAUL.

I need two or three more people, and we'll work on making the Protosite. If Zex's ok with that idea.

Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) - Page 2 ZiSig
+100 posts
Zihark
Zihark

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) - Page 2 Empty Re: Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members)

Post by The Cloaked One on October 15th 2011, 3:35 am

From where I'm sitting, it seems as though everyone who's actually interested in going through with this change simply wants the current system replaced with a progression system. If that's why you all think activity is low and the current system is "broken," why would an entirely new site be necessary? We could just as easily pause everything creation-wise, have everyone agree to either reset their characters or recreate, and take a week to actually make the transition into a progression system happen, instead of letting the interest go cold this time? You'd be surprised how simplistic rule structuring can become when numbers can define everything and judgement becomes a triviality.
The Cloaked One
The Cloaked One

Back to top Go down

Post by Zihark on October 15th 2011, 11:38 am

We wanted to make the new site as a testing ground. We tried to test it on here, but you and Shirou never got around to making the test forums for our trials.

+100 posts
Zihark
Zihark

Back to top Go down

Post by Azmot on October 15th 2011, 11:44 am

Cloak, what exactly are you getting at? Are you saying that "Fira deals 20 Damage" or " I have 300 munny, I will buy a weapon slot?"
Azmot
Azmot

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cloaked One on October 15th 2011, 2:16 pm

As true as that might be, Zihark, clearly Shirou has interest in giving it another try. There's no sense creating a separate site for something we plan to implement here, especially when all of our normal members are working with the staff to work it out. If most of you want the change, then the change can happen here. If most of you don't want it, then there's no need for the change to happen anywhere.

And, while I didn't mean for it to be taken to that extent, Azmot, a progression system would only make sense in a universe where damage values, like your statistical values, have clear and definite increases over time. If you add a point to your Magic Attack stat, would you rather feel like your magic is stronger, or actually have stronger magic? As for the munny buying a weapon slot, how would that be any different from trading those points or power-ups for slots? As a matter of fact, adding money in addition to experience and leveling would at least give the system more than one dimension.
The Cloaked One
The Cloaked One

Back to top Go down

Post by Azumi Cho on October 15th 2011, 5:00 pm

Zex, if I may speak, we want to make sure the stats don't over power creativity either, or activity would kind of be lax as well. As for a reset and doing all that, one might want to keep in mind that a lot of people are still telling their character's story. I know I am with Azumi--I've just been having writer's block and school as of late, hence my inactivity.

Also, I've noticed that for someone who does not want MP or spells, this set up can kind of troublesome. What about the people who want to be juggernauts without being god-moddy?

Also, this site is inactive partially because there hasn't been a good story line in ages. Find a way to write up a new plot, let the normal users know about it and help out and we may get more activity too. This was such an issue with the Epic Skype Group because they often left everyone out of their ideas, and they normally turned out horridly. Find someone with enough time to write up ideas for a story that will incorporate the vets and their huge histories and allow new members to have fun too. Everyone comes here to RP, and everything hasn't been done because no one new has been given a chance to share their ideas on what to be done.

Maybe a good old fashioned tourney would help things out too. It's been a long time since anyone has had any incentive to write well or RP more. A prize just might be what we're looking for as well.

I've been looking over a site that has an advanced RP section. This section has a minimum word count requirement of 500 words. I've found this to be very intriguing and challenging. This could bring in writers from all over who need to be keeping up their writing constantly, or it could bring in those who love to write all the time as well.

There are many things we could do to increase activity and revamp at the same time Shi, without losing anything. I wonder when you'll realize that we say the same things, just in a slightly different way? Being a vet, I understand Leo's concerns, but I also understand your ideals. I felt the same way around your age/time here on the site, so I agree to what you are intending, but I'm cautioning you to take in other people's concerns as well.

Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkFadHyM5UY&feature=related
Satsu's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2sWWj9RjeQ
Azumi Cho
Azumi Cho

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirou on October 15th 2011, 8:07 pm

Azumi, what exactly do you mean "people who don't want MP or spells"? Have a stat system based on a progressive system would solve that, since people would simply choose to go the strength route.

As for storylines? If you don't recall, I tried starting a storyline a few months ago, involving quite a few people. It died after certain altercations and inactiveness. Zihark also tried starting his own storyline. So, the problem isn't about starting a storyline, it's about activeness. And like you said before, people aren't active because of school or work. Making a storyline and having people who are semi-active would just drag it down and kill it.

As for minimum word limits? No. We're not doing that. It's a stupid, snooty concept that writers like just to show off that they can write. It would scare off new members, because they'd be obligated to write long posts, and people would run out of things to do or say, so they would just ramble on about their inner dialogue that doesn't really contribute to the RP overall. If writers want to improve their writing skill by having a word requirement, then they can set the bar themselves. We don't need rules to enforce it.

Characters can still tell their story. Besides, wouldn't they be missing important parts, since people who would have been involved in it have left? I know mine has. With Yima, Ansem, Biscuits, and other people leaving, it's left my story pretty tattered and torn. And they can still continue their story, like I said before. If they include their progress in their history, it'll still be canon and they can continue on from where they left off.

[INSERT WORDS AND STUFF ABOUT ME BITCHING.]

Last edited by Shirou on October 15th 2011, 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

[23:25:24] Zihark joined the chat on 10/17/2011, 11:25 pm
[23:27:16] Zihark : I SUSCEDE SHIROU VELOX, YOUR IDEA WAS BETTER

[02:13:16] Etzolix : YOU WON'T
[02:13:18] Etzolix : I GOT YIMA ON A LEASH

[1:41:03 AM] "Ansem": I only have
[1:41:09 AM] "Ansem": 500 munny
[1:41:20 AM] "Ansem": ....IMA WELFARE PIMP

Shirou
Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cloaked One on October 15th 2011, 10:31 pm

Now now, this is getting far too personal. I only want discussion in reference to what someone says, not to who says it. There's no need for everyone to get at each others throats when you all obviously have reasons to care for the future of this site, and therefore you must consider both sides of the coin, not merely the one you happen to be hoping for it to land on.

Azumi, in reference to what you were saying about the old staff and how they slowly gutted any resemblance plot from the site, I really couldn't agree with you more. However, I'm not entirely sure if you're placing the blame on the correct actions of theirs, because those same actions have since repeated ad nauseum, long after their disappearance.

The fact that they specifically worked out half-baked plots amongst themselves is certainly part of why it's so difficult for anything legitimately interesting to happen around here, because that entire break of worthwhile story for everybody else has left us in an ambiguous void. No one knows what they should be concerned with or if there's even concern to be had in the first place, but that is only half the problem. Since most of you will be unable to answer this question, consider it entirely rhetorical: Do you know the most detrimental difference between this site and the original? The chat box. The chat box that lets every user get to know the person behind each and every character long before their characters ever meet. Everyone gets to know one another, and no one wants to be the douchebag who causes legitimate, genuine trouble for everyone IC. Beyond even that, any trouble that anyone DOES decide to cause IC is immediately nullified by the fact that everyone knows everyone else and exactly what would follow. There's no conflicts, there's no interest, there's no unpredictability, there's no repercussions, nothing. It's like playing a video game by yourself or playing it with a friend; if you're alone, you don't know what to expect, and everything is fresh and intriguing and tense and visceral, and if you're with a friend, you feel confident, you feel safe and a lot of what happens won't be as interesting or blood-rushing. Hell, it might even make you feel outright bored. The point is, is that the constant dialogue and discussion going on behind the scenes makes the scenes themselves less meaningful.

*Sigh* Aaaaanywho, if we plan on going ahead and making a system where progression is the main aspect, where nothing is consistent and everything is decided and forged by ones own hand, then a lot of freedom will be ripped right out of the game. That's what we would be sacrificing. That's the difference between the static system we have now and the progression system a lot of you want: freedom versus definition. You can't have much of one with the other before the system in question becomes faulty. I've said this once, and I'll say it again, if we decide to go through the effort of amending all the rules and regulations for something like this, we're not going to tweak the system; we're going to flip it completely upside down.

That being said, however, no one should feel any need to create a new character if and when this happens, unless you want to. As it has been mentioned before, you could just as easily create the same character you now have, update their history, personality, give them a whole new start without losing a single bit of plot or story that they have built up over the years, and, honestly, if a lot of you did that, you would probably end up finding you have a lot you still want to do with your characters. Smitty made a fine comparison earlier: it would be like taking your characters and moving from KH1 to KH2. You know the characters and their personalities, some history has been built upon and some history is mysterious and fractured, but you get to feel the gleam of doing something for the first time once again. No story or plot would be lost in any individual character, and all the progress in the world is available to be made.

Now, after all that rambling, I want you, the reader, to take a nice, deep breath. Hold it for a few seconds. Three.. two.. one.. release. Try to slowly reel in your line from the calm waters before you, and sit back in your chair for a moment. Look towards the rolling clouds above you and enjoy the soft rays of sunlight caressing your face. Hear the gentle ripple of the creek overlap the swallow's song, and simply ask yourself: Why?
The Cloaked One
The Cloaked One

Back to top Go down

Post by Zihark on October 15th 2011, 10:57 pm

I can not let anything go. I hate losing things, people. The general idea of losing something frightens me. I have an addictive personality. I can not lst this place go for those reasons. Even though I have been functioning perfectly fine without this place for a month or two, I come back here and see the lack of activity, and a twinge of pain in my heart, and the drop in my stomach his me hard. That is my answer for why. When humans are back into a corner they become desperate. Try anything? Everyone knows the story, the cliche. This is one of the site's corners. We're willing to try something desperate to save this place. We all want the place up and running. What's the first step? Who actually wants the site to change to a progressive character system, closer to a videogame? Who's willing to sacrifice a little freedom for that.

I say the first step is to tally it up...

Who wants the site to stay the same?
Leo
Azumi

Who wants to turn this thing "upside down"?
Shirou
Zihark

Last edited by Zihark on October 16th 2011, 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

+100 posts
Zihark
Zihark

Back to top Go down

Post by Azmot on October 16th 2011, 1:07 am

I vote to burn it all.
Azmot
Azmot

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirou on October 16th 2011, 1:40 am

Obviously, my answer is known.

However, I'd like to point out that we can flip everything upside down yet retain our characters and their current progress, yet lose our spells, items, and weapons in the process. But, if there's a currency and an experience system set up, that means not only will you be able to get back your old stuff, you can even make new stuff that's better than before, or modify that stuff to your liking.

Shirou
Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo on October 16th 2011, 8:49 am

In that aspect Shirou, we are more than capable of making better "stuff" now. There is nothing holding us back from revising our weapons, spells and other creations of that nature. At any point in time we could go in with new ideas and change up our things...clearing it all off wouldn't change anything. It would just force us to re-create everything.

I'm still against the whole, burning of the site, and mostly because I have been here longer than anyone besides Zex himself of course. I was one of the handful of people that helped build this current site so I'm not going to be all excited when someone wants to shoot the dog that I helped save. I did more than just register, join, and RP...my heart is in this site.

Of course we can tweek and change some things, but clearing everything is not the way to do that. It isn't going to spark activity for you to take off every world leader, we have worked HARD to get our worlds and we have EARNED the right to rule over them.

On a site I run we did some revisions and simply added in the points system without having to delete anything or piss anyone off. That way, it didn't matter how high one's post count got, it could be 100,000,000,000, but what matters is their points. We would alot 1 point for each RP post, but off topic crap got zip, nada, nothing. Creation topics got 2 points each. That way, people that just post up a bunch of chat room crap don't seem like they are big shots.

I'm just saying, think clearly. Deleting everything is not going to make this place better. Teamwork is the only way to go. Shirou, I know you can't stand me, but face it, you know I'm right. We have to forget about our distaste for each other and work together for the betterment of this site.

All that being said, Zex gets the final call. We can discuss all day long, but Zex has the final say, this is his site. So he's going to be the one telling us what will or won't happen. Just something to think about.

Date Joined: September 3, 2007  https://kingdomhearts.forumotion.net/t6153-leo-s-post-count#55808

140 Max Magic

Founder of the Guardians of Restoration
The Ruthless Guardian of Storms
Leo
Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirou on October 16th 2011, 11:50 am

Leo...what's holding us back from 'revising' our weapons now is because we've already made them and got them approved. We can't change something that we've already gotten approved unless it's because it's too god-moddy or something. And this whole topic is about clearing everything re-creating everything, and it's been stated several times why it'd change everything.

Zex said that we would have to flip everything upside down if we wanted changes, not just tweak here and there. Flipping everything upside does not mean we have to clear everything. I've already said that we'd be able to retain our characters and their progress.

As for teamwork...to answer this, I'll ask you this: Why is it that I posted up this topic in the first place, asking for the opinions of all the members?

And saying that Zex has the final call contradicts your teamwork bit. While yes, Zex has the big approval stamp on this whole thing, it doesn't mean that he's going to go by what HE thinks only. If the members are willing to work together to make something like this happen, then he will make change happen. If the members are against this, he won't change anything. You have to remember that Zex keeps the members in mind when doing things.

Shirou
Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post by Azumi Cho on October 16th 2011, 1:04 pm

*Sigh* Zihark, I'm not saying the site has to stay the same. I'm kind of like the mediator for the voice of the vets and the new members because I can understand where both sections are coming from. I want the change personally, but like Leo, I don't want to re-type everything and discover a sense of "loss". I too, put my heart into the site, but I couldn't agree more that it would have to change probably in some ways drastically, but I still don't believe in a complete erasure of everything. Just try a new points system for a week and see if that works, if not try implementing different ideas until we find an appropriate balance that won't tick off vets or intimidate new members. I think the current system can just be messed with until we find the formula that works. Everyone seems to agree with slot exchange, so why not start there? Implement the currency system instead of a points system so that there is still growth that won't really affect anything and allow players to exchange slots for a certain amount of money. Say everyone starting a week from now gets 100 munny and if they post, they get one more munny until they get to the set amount for certain slot exchange?

And, Shi, about the Advanced RP Section It would be a completely different forum. It would be in no way related to normal RP sections, and if we go with the point system, then, well for example, the site I've looked over gives you 5 points for posting in it. It's just a little more incentive for those who like to write or be challenged to join up and not be ridiculed for the looooooong post that no one reads in the normal section anyway. There could be other incentives for the normal section like getting two or three extra points for creating a topic as well, so that the members are encouraged to start something on their own.

As for what I meant about the MP stuff, I can think of a few characters who weren't very heavy magic users, but kind of felt obligated to create spells and such because the system is kind of heavily MP reliant as it stands. Think about it: you give a warrior type magic that he or she doesn't really have use for and then say that it won't be "insert post number here" until they get their next weapon. Chances are, they would die fairly quick, because some mage with a ton of MP could roll them over, and the new member would be helpless against it.

Zex, I never thought about the chatbox, but I see your point and agree. Get rid of it...never really used it when I was Riko, and it was refreshing to say, get a PM from Leo because of a tourney and get an "F you" from him that would later turn into a good friendship, I would say...the chatbox has taken that away, as most things that are that instant do... Another thing that might help is re-instituting the post/point count requirement to enter certain worlds? I know that that aspect of it made me try harder with Riko...it's an idea that certainly has its drawbacks.

Last edited by Azumi Cho on October 16th 2011, 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Azumi Cho
Azumi Cho

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo on October 16th 2011, 1:27 pm

Yes, post requirements I'm order to rp in a certain world.and shirou, you aren't listening quite well, you are shooting down others opinions as if it's your choice. Anyway, chatbox, I'm neutral on that. But I'm for the point system.

Date Joined: September 3, 2007  https://kingdomhearts.forumotion.net/t6153-leo-s-post-count#55808

140 Max Magic

Leo
Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirou on October 16th 2011, 1:54 pm

Azumi...you're assuming that we're going back the old way of doing things. If we were to change the system, it would be a system so where strength-centered people can go down a strength-related path, and the same with magic type people. Using stats to determine things such as magic wouldn't mean that you don't just gain MP by reaching x amount of posts. Gaining magic would be by choice. And as Zexion said, with a currency system, people can earn munny and buy their own weapon slot, as well as a spell slot. It would make it so people have the flexibility to choose where they can improve. Adding a munny system that's based on points is also leaning back to the old ways. I mean, in the games, you don't get munny for walking around. You have to earn it by actually doing things.

An Advanced RP Section of the board would still be quite useless if there was a new progressive system to be implemented. Like I said before, we wouldn't be going back to the old way. Experience wouldn't be gained by simply posting. It would be gained via fighting and other IC activities. As well, you can just as easily dedicate topics so that there are a word requirement. You can do that now. There doesn't need to be an entire section to do that.

As I've said twice now, nothing would be completely erased if the site really wanted to keep their characters. The only thing you guys would lose would be your stuff, but that's because of the change of systems which would conflict with things. You would get to keep your characters and your current progress, so you can continue your storyline. You don't have to re-type anything, there's a thing called copy and paste.

Shirou
Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post by Azumi Cho on October 16th 2011, 2:15 pm

Shi I'm not assuming. You are assuming that I am assuming. Read:

Everyone seems to agree with slot exchange, so why not start there? Implement the currency system instead of a points system so that there is still growth that won't really affect anything and allow players to exchange slots for a certain amount of money. Say everyone starting a week from now gets 100 munny and if they post, they get one more munny until they get to the set amount for certain slot exchange?

It's my growth plan and it's not that different from what you're saying, either. Some people aren't fighters, have you thought that through? Have any of you even thought that you are still running the bureaucracy that was left behind? When people go off to school or work, none of you is really truly tolerant of it at all. You act like you are, but in all honesty, if it's been a month, then you treat them like a noob when they get back.

You really want change? Then change your way of thinking. Change how you treat people and then implement a new system. I've changed my way of thinking. I've just told you my ideas and you say I assume things when those are just my ideas? More like shooting them down. Brushing them off. If you can't think openly for a second, then don't reply. This isn't for just you, Shi. It's for everyone who has previously thought that way. A change in thinking and coming to a meeting in the middle is the only thing that will work.

I apologize for anyone I've offended, but it's true. It's true with ESG, and it's still true now.

Azumi Cho
Azumi Cho

Back to top Go down

Post by ReinaKaitlynn on October 16th 2011, 2:40 pm

In fact here, what I see going on is not one, but three different conversations in a single topic. Granted, these are all related to some extent, but confusing as well. Let's instead re-examine the facts shall we?
The main problems I see being discussd are site activity, the current system, and the veterans losing their powers that they've garnered through the years.
Site activity is low, really low, and it's obvious the system we have in place has something to do with that. Site vets are getting bored thanks to the lack of new content, and newbies already feel threatened to some extent, for indeed it does feel like a monolithic task to take down someone who knows the staff far better than you, let alone the rules, and even has a few thousand posts under their belt.
The system is obviously flawed, but only due to several modifications from perhaps... misguided... decisions by former administrative and moderator personnel. Added to various sub systems and additions we've implemented, the main system which governs it all isn't fully compatible with it all anymore and just in general already has several loopholes thanks to it. It's obvious the thing needs pruning, though it could be easier to simply overhaul the system it's that incompatible. So the debate here only really boils down to two things, is everyone willing to give up their stats, and start afresh with a form of equal-ground points progression (Though stories could remain intact)? And is it so bad that it's beyond saving with a simple good pruning?
And finally, emotions, the most difficult one to compromise. I actually see a pair of subtopics going on in this debate alone, one group wants to keep things somewhat the same, but still wouldn't mind some change, as long as they retained what they've earned. The other, more radical side I see here isn't calling for some changes, but kind of wants to just start a new RP altogether, so it seems to me based on the amount of fresh start they desire.
Obviously a compromise must be reached between the two groups, rather than a single sided radical approach. I have to ask, what exactly is it the veterans don't want to lose? Tell us so we can come up with ways to preserve it or compromise for it. It's already stated that your memories would be retained, and rightly so. But what else is it that you don't want to lose? Weapons, abilities, etc? They can be remade and tailored to the new system. Since you already aren't considered better than new players due to the current stat system, you wouldn't be losing anything in actual combat ability. The only thing I can see vets losing is a few weapons and spells that may not get re-approved in the new system. Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe that's for the better? Something wouldn't be unapproved unless it's deemed god-moddy, which nobody really wants anyone else to have. I know it's putting alot on Zex, but I don't think he's the type to be uncompromising with a good idea, and taking emotions and rights into consideration. As far as I can see, you won't really lose anything unless it's broken, in which case, even if you may have earned something like that, it SHOULD be removed.
This post may have been, in part, a reiteration, but it's just what I see, and what I can see happening, please do correct me if anything is wrong and I'll work with you to make it right, so long as we finally reach a compromise, because there is one fact I know we can all agree on, something needs to be changed.

Reina Kaitlynn Extraviena Dorcha Wolvenheim II, Healer, summoner, and general support Thaumaturge.
ReinaKaitlynn
ReinaKaitlynn

Back to top Go down

Post by Yukihime on October 16th 2011, 3:25 pm

Thank you Reina for your post! This whole thing was really confusing for me..

I like the site clear idea.
Just as long as the old site is still there in the basket. Having a basket copy of it. I did that at my old site. All I did was change the name of forums and categories to have basket in front of it then shoved it in the basket.
I took that idea from an old site though...except the staff there moved every single topic. Didn't really make sense to me if the site was just going to be turned new anyway. That's just an example of one though.
Oh and a new rule forum! Because that confused and frustrated me a lot when I first came here. I went on one topic and it had all these links and each one of them took me to a topic I've read before...

If that makes no sense or confused you please do not hesitate and say so!

Also I'll most likely say more on this. I pretty much typed up this post with the parts that I am able to word out before I forget. And if I don't say anything in awhile it's because 1. I just gave up on trying to put it into words or 2. It's really taking me that much long of a time.
And if it is taking that long I really do hope someone says at least one of the things on my mind.

https://kingdomhearts.forumotion.net/t4688-yukihime-marini-megurine#42592
Spells currently learning: Cure, light and water.
Mp:30
Yukihime
Yukihime

Back to top Go down

Post by Zihark on October 16th 2011, 3:58 pm

NOTHING has to get deleted. A drastic site change is more intimidating than it sounds. Nothing at all has to get deleted. People can save they're stuff and just conform them to a (possibly) new templates. Maybe change the rules up a bit. Points system.

+100 posts
Zihark
Zihark

Back to top Go down

Post by Balendin8 on October 16th 2011, 4:19 pm

Site vets are getting bored thanks to the lack of new content, and newbies already feel threatened to some extent, for indeed it does feel like a monolithic task to take down someone who knows the staff far better than you, let alone the rules, and even has a few thousand posts under their belt.

Honestly I do not get what you are trying to say in the latter part of this statement, Reina. What do you mean take down someone? Are you trying to say that new members feel threatened that they cannot just build a new character and then immediately beat up or kill someone who has actually been here and worked hard to build up a respectably powerful character? Well, they should feel a bit threatened if they want to take out an established character. Honestly you do not get to a few thousand post and not end up somewhat of a powerful character. At least that was how it was when I first joined. Of course the system was flawed as it was highly abused by a good bit of the then current staff, but it was still nice to know that if you work hard and were smart you would actually get rewarded. When I came here, it was a challenge. I ended up in rps with some of the strongest members this site had to offer then and more than once I thought I might die, but, as you can see, I am still here. I worked hard and remained dedicated and I ended up to be one of the stronger members of the site. Certainly not the strongest, but respectably strong and a fairly decent force to be reckoned with. Then of course it was decided that everyone was equal and I watched my work get flushed down the drain.

I am not sure if I am effectively getting across what I am trying to say or if I am just coming across as a jerk, so I am going to try to just sum up my point as simply as I can. I do not currently like the system were every character is equal in power be it if they are new or have been here for years. I would prefer a progression system where if you work hard and are dedicated you end up getting stronger. That means that, even if we start on a level playing field, people that are here for a while and work hard will end up being stronger then brand new members. As such it will certainly be a difficult task for someone new to take down someone who is not.

I do not want to start fresh. I do not want to have to work my way from the bottom again. It would be nice if people could be recognized for the time they have already put in, the work they have already done, and the feats they have already accomplished. I do not see why everyone needs to restart on a level playing field, but I am willing to accept it if it means that people can grow in power again.

Sovereign of Beast's Castle in Exile

Max Magic: 110
Elements: Earth, Cure, Fire
Theme Music: Soldiers of the Wasteland

[22:33:21] Zihark : I didn't know lenny died?
[22:33:29] Zihark : how long did he stay after he died
[22:33:47] Etzolix : Uh idk.
[22:33:55] Etzolix : He let himself die cause he wanted to live.
Balendin8
Balendin8

Back to top Go down

Post by ReinaKaitlynn on October 16th 2011, 8:42 pm

I'm not trying to overstate the power of a newbie, in fact I find it absurd they can just wander in here and be considered as powerful. But rather the idea that someone is holding all the aces on an old site where the people are able to essentially wipe out a whole world on a whim and are constantly locked in god-like combat doesn't exactly feel inviting to the new player.
I understand you don't want to start fresh, but you really aren't are you even if we do overhaul? Everyone is already equal in power, so you are only going to gain power there. You may lose a weapon or two, and perhaps a spell, but you can always go back and remake them whenever you wish, and if they are considered too godmoddy during the re-approval, then by all rights you shouldn't have them anyways.

Reina Kaitlynn Extraviena Dorcha Wolvenheim II, Healer, summoner, and general support Thaumaturge.
ReinaKaitlynn
ReinaKaitlynn

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo on October 16th 2011, 9:48 pm

I think this topic is pretty much shot to hell. It's turned into nothing more than a full-fledged argument and I no longer see its intended purpose within any of the posts.

Yes some changes need to be made.

No we shouldn't lose the things that we have worked so hard to get.

No we shouldn't be stripped from our currents stats.

Yes we need a Points System as I suggested earlier.

And yes...I need a drink...dam...

PEACE OUT HOMIES!!!

140 Max Magic

Leo
Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by ReinaKaitlynn on October 16th 2011, 10:34 pm

....That post was quite pointless, no offense Leo.

ReinaKaitlynn
ReinaKaitlynn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next