I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Marionette
Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) EmptyDecember 2nd 2018, 2:31 pm by +/-

» suck on my magnum dong
Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) EmptyOctober 18th 2018, 9:25 pm by Gemini

» It's my birthday.
Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) EmptyOctober 4th 2018, 8:20 pm by Gemini

» EW
Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) EmptySeptember 9th 2018, 3:53 am by Gemini

» What are Your Current Plans for Your Character?
Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) EmptyFebruary 11th 2018, 7:33 pm by Chastelle

Statistics
We have 3557 registered users
The newest registered user is Shirou Seeker of Duckness

Our users have posted a total of 143994 messages in 12544 subjects

Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members)

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) Empty Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members)

Post by Shirou on October 12th 2011, 4:48 pm

There is this idea I have about breaking down the site and rebuilding it from scratch. This means that not only will the worlds be correctly updated, but there will be new systems for fighting, magic, and weaponry. Everything you know about the site will be changed and revised.

This site was built around a certain system that had already been created. Over time, that system has been modified to the point where it's a whole new system. This causes friction, because the site is still designed to fit the old system. Think of it as trying to fit a cube in a circular hole. It just doesn't work out. So, hopefully, by rebooting this site, a new system will come out that fits nicely with the overall site.

Unfortunately, there are downsides. All the characters have to be deleted, as well as weapons and spells. You will lose all of your current progress. Any achievements previously made will be no more. However, I don't think that this is a problem, considering that 1.) the current system doesn't rely on experience and 2.) most of the people that actually have a large history have left. All that really remain are Leo and Etzolix. Restarting all over will also give you a larger chance at being the strongest in the site, since EVERYBODY will be starting over.

With the restarting of the site, this will be the best chance to point out what you don't like about the current site, because all opinions and requests will be considered and applied. One of the reasons I want to do a reboot is so that the members can have a say in things work. If you don't like how the current fighting system works, you can say why and suggest how to improve it.

So, here's what I want you to do: post whether or not you want this to go through. It's up to you guys. This is your choice. I'd just like to point out that we've got nothing to lose by doing it; the activity of the site is already near gone. This may bring new members, and garner more activity. In fact, it may even bring back old members.

Last edited by Shirou on October 12th 2011, 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

[23:25:24] Zihark joined the chat on 10/17/2011, 11:25 pm
[23:27:16] Zihark : I SUSCEDE SHIROU VELOX, YOUR IDEA WAS BETTER

[02:13:16] Etzolix : YOU WON'T
[02:13:18] Etzolix : I GOT YIMA ON A LEASH

[1:41:03 AM] "Ansem": I only have
[1:41:09 AM] "Ansem": 500 munny
[1:41:20 AM] "Ansem": ....IMA WELFARE PIMP

Shirou
Shirou

Back to top Go down

Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) Empty Re: Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members)

Post by Etzolix on October 12th 2011, 4:58 pm

I'm completely fine with sacrificing my "history" and "power" on the site to start over.
Especially if it'll breathe new creative life into this place. Afterall at this rate none of the history or power will matter since barely anyone's RPing.

I'll get back to things I want to change about the system after I finish my school work. I just want to show my support for the reboot.

In this cold reality,
I made this selfish war machine.
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) Empty Re: Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members)

Post by Azmot on October 12th 2011, 6:53 pm

I say.... This sounds great. Might be a good time to have a fresh new start, as well as make anybody who's serious about this haul ass to compete with one another. So, yea. sounds amazing.
Azmot
Azmot

Back to top Go down

Post by Zihark on October 12th 2011, 6:56 pm

I say we should try out you and Zex's ideas from a few months ago, first.

Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) ZiSig
+100 posts
Zihark
Zihark

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirou on October 12th 2011, 7:16 pm

Smitty - If you want any storylines to continue, you can add that to your history, as long as the other members of the storyline agree.

Zihark - AS FUN AS THAT WOULD BE, Zex doesn't really have the time to set up and run something like that, and I'd rather not prolong this overall. However, like I said before, you can always suggest what you think the fighting system should be.

Shirou
Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post by Azmot on October 12th 2011, 7:56 pm

I don't have a suggestion for fighting, but I have an Idea on the Magic System. Ok, so every certain number of posts gives you a point, and a slot costs you a specific amount of points, enchantments being the highest. I think that this gives characters a wider arsenal of potential skillsets, giving more variety than before. This still provides balance and freedom, and important aspect to any successful RP site.
Azmot
Azmot

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo on October 12th 2011, 9:38 pm

I think it's pretty much horseshit to completely clear the site of each and every post. I don't see how that would attract new members. It would make the site look like it is just starting off once again.

I've been on the site (since the ORIGINAL site) since 2007. Our post counts, our characters, histories, alliances, affiliations, and many other things we have worked hard on such as templates, all of that GONE? I don't like the idea.
I've worked extremely hard to get to were I'm at.
My thing is, if it ain't broke, don't fsck it up so that you can try and fix it. Activity is down, and since that is the case, why not all ban together and try to boost activity, get old members back, mass email, advertise like crazy.

I just see no point in clearing out everyone's post counts and deleting their stuff just to make everyone start back over. For those who were NOT on the original site, IT SUCKS TO HAVE YOUR POST COUNT RAPED BACK TO ZERO WITH NONE OF YOUR TEMPLATES!!! It wasn't fun to start over again, but we HAD to, we had NO other choice, this time we do, why would we purposefully kill the site in order to try and revive it???

Think up ways to boost activity and get more people RPing.

Anything would be better than flat-lining...just my two cents, not that it means sht...

Date Joined: September 3, 2007  https://kingdomhearts.forumotion.net/t6153-leo-s-post-count#55808

140 Max Magic

Founder of the Guardians of Restoration
The Ruthless Guardian of Storms
Leo
Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirou on October 13th 2011, 7:37 am

The point of clearing this site is to make it look like it's a brand new site. We have 1575 members. Do you know how many members RP? About five. When new people look at this site, they see all these topics and all these people with these giant post counts. They don't feel like diving into a legacy that's four years old. They wouldn't know a thing and catching up would be a bitch.

As for post count? It doesn't even matter anymore. The only thing post count determines is the amount of items and spells you can have, not to mention that post count is the combined total of RPing and OOC. If the reboot is done, there will be a system that will more clearly define which posts matter and which do not. Not to mention that Smitty, Etzolix and I are more than happy to let this happen. What's the point of having high status on a site that near dead?

If you are really against this, Leo, then throw out some ideas to boost activities.

Shirou
Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo on October 13th 2011, 8:25 am

I honestly don't know why anyone would be for it that has been here as long as I have. Of course the new users would like it because they would be equal to us Vets that have put in the countless hours of dedication that it took to get this far.

First activity booster idea would simply be this. Come up with a advert, video/banner or anything of the sort, type up an Epic description of the site and post it up on this site. Just about every member here is also a member of other RP forums, so what we would do is to copy the advert from this site and post it up on the other sites we are members of. That's the simplest way to get started and then we'll go from there.

Date Joined: September 3, 2007  https://kingdomhearts.forumotion.net/t6153-leo-s-post-count#55808

140 Max Magic

Leo
Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenos on October 13th 2011, 11:49 am

I know that I am a new member, but I'd still like to contribute a few of my thoughts.

Although I admit that the idea of being on the same level as previous members is tempting, I don't believe that's fair to said members. Everyone here plays video games, correct? I don't know if this has happened to any of you, but I've gotten game files that I had worked hard on deleted before. It sucks to start over, and to be honest I don't feel like touching that game for a while. But that's just me.

I say that we try out Leo's solution before the site gets rebooted. If his idea doesn't work, what have we lost? On the other hand, if Shirou's idea fails to boost this site's users, we've pretty much lost everything.

But don't take my opinions into too much consideration. Like I've said, I'm new here. I don't have much to lose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Balendin8 on October 13th 2011, 12:50 pm

I am kind of against the idea. Having to start all over again is not very appealing. You put all this time and effort into your character just to have it ripped away. I remember I was pretty unhappy and unmotivated when I lost some of my weapons and weapon abilities because of the weapon update back in November of 2010. I doubt I would be very motivated and happy if everything I had worked on suddenly disappeared.

That said, if it was done, I would gripe for a while then get over it.

Restarting it all seems like a pretty drastic measure and there is no guarantee that it will end up with positive results, but if most people want to take that particular gamble then who am I to stand in their way?

Sovereign of Beast's Castle in Exile

Max Magic: 110
Elements: Earth, Cure, Fire
Theme Music: Soldiers of the Wasteland

[22:33:21] Zihark : I didn't know lenny died?
[22:33:29] Zihark : how long did he stay after he died
[22:33:47] Etzolix : Uh idk.
[22:33:55] Etzolix : He let himself die cause he wanted to live.
Balendin8
Balendin8

Back to top Go down

Post by Etzolix on October 13th 2011, 12:57 pm

Well, for anyone opposed to the idea then we should try to motivate all the members to start RPing again.

I personally don't care either way , sort of. I mean, I see the pros and cons of both but I don't have a preference but Bal, as you said, "who am I to stand in their way?"

In this cold reality,
I made this selfish war machine.
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirou on October 13th 2011, 2:31 pm

Here's the thing; we need to garner activity, not members. Members join everyday. They just don't stick around. One of the reasons why I believe this is because this site has such a big history that it's extremely untasteful for new members, not to mention that the site's activity itself is almost dead. How would you feel if you went to a new site, only to find that it's this old site that's nearly abandoned? Not to mention that the whole 'flashy advertisement' method has been used before...and as you can see, it didn't exactly work out.

As for losing progress? We already lost our progress in power, since power is now determined by your stats. There's no way for us to increase our power, unless we use enchantments. What we would lose would be our status, our MP, and our stuff, but as Bale already pointed out, we lost some of our stuff already.

If you're worried about losing your achievements on the site, you shouldn't be. There are only five vets on the site; Etzolix, Zexion, Moni, Smitty Wits, and Leo. Those are the only people who know about what happened on the old site, and two of those people have new characters. Your past achievements don't matter if nobody knows about them. I mean, I faced Lenneth and was cursed by him. Then, it was cured by Yima and I proceeded to train under him. But, what does it matter now? Both Lenneth and Yima are gone, and the only person left to remember is Etzolix. New members don't know who Lenneth or Yima, so it doesn't really matter to them.

This isn't just deleting our history and topics. It's use breaking down everything, meaning the whole foundation of the site. With a new system and format, you may be able to get back old favorites or do something you could never do before. You could start anew, character wise. You know all those restrictions we've gotten over time? Those were placed because of somebody abusing their ability to do something, or misunderstanding. I'm not saying that everything will go back to the way it was, but things will definitely be different from how they are now.

The thing about start over from the beginning is that while you're deleting the pros, you're also deleting the cons. Any mistake you've made, any weapon or spell you regret making, any past complications that handicap your character will all be cleared. Looking like a brand new site IS the point. Would you rather join a new site that's blossoming, with experienced staff members as well as RP members, or would you join an old and decaying site ? Would you rather stay in a decrepit body, where things don't work like they used to, or would you rather go back to your youth where you were just discovering how things work and getting to how they did?

Of course, all of the world leaders would no longer be world leaders. But, what's the point of being the leader of a world with no citizens? I know that I have no active citizens in my world. I'm sure that Leo and Balendin are in a similar state. And who knows, since the worlds will be free and empty, they will be in need of leaders. It wouldn't be completely out of reason to have people start out as world leaders, if they prove themselves worthy.

Shirou
Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post by Trent on October 13th 2011, 2:44 pm

EDITED due to change of mind.

Last edited by Trent on September 8th 2012, 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mp: 60 (Darkness, Wind, Fire)
Theon's MP: 30 (Light, Cure, Earth)
Trent

Back to top Go down

Post by The Cloaked One on October 13th 2011, 4:21 pm

I would just like to point out that nothing would actually need to be deleted. Everything could just as easily be moved to the site's archives, so it's all still there, just not out in the open where it'd be conflicting against the new templates and information.
The Cloaked One
The Cloaked One

Back to top Go down

Post by Azmot on October 13th 2011, 7:41 pm

Ohhhhhhh! Shirou, I know what went down on the old site too!

Also, Cloak is correct. No reason not to save a picture or two of the lawn, right Shi?

Azmot
Azmot

Back to top Go down

Post by Zihark on October 13th 2011, 8:00 pm

I'm willing to ban together with a few other choice Members to create a whole new site, then, everyone can start fresh with a new system, while still maintaining their status here. We can see who likes it. Not everyone will, but there is always compromise. Compromise is the most important thing here. As a huge control freak, it pains me to no end knowing that I can't run the site my way, not that I'd put in enough effort. Still, compromise is the best course for a massive project like this.

Rebooting the Site. (Needs ALL Members) ZiSig
+100 posts
Zihark
Zihark

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirou on October 13th 2011, 8:01 pm

I never literally meant deleting. I was even considering just moving to another site and switch URLs, with the sites linked. However, it would be easier to just make new accounts and archive everything.

And Zihark, that's a good idea.

Shirou
Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasturi on October 13th 2011, 11:51 pm

Urr... hi,
I know I'm a really new member, but i thought i could make a little suggestion, please hear me

when I first came to this site, it was my first time using the current type of stats system. At first it was quite confusing for a noob like me, but other than that, no problems.

Another thing is, I have to agree with what Shirou said earlier. The history is kinda big, n so not to barge into an Rp n get lost to what other OCs are talking about, I have to read the history a little. If not, its like making a new character introduction when Harry Potter and Voldemort is having a showdown, n you are just standing there disrupting the mood.

So what I thought would be nice if there's an short intro page for newbies like me on who's the who, and what's happening. I also support the "main big plot for the site" idea, something constantly new so newbies can easily join in. If not, there's hell lot of old posts history digging.

Just an opinion from a new member, but you guys might know a lot better about this stuff than me. :P

Kasturi
Kasturi

Back to top Go down

Post by Azumi Cho on October 14th 2011, 2:26 pm

I'm kind of with Leo on this. I get that there probably needs to be a new system, but...starting over? Yeah, that worked well the first time. -_-. I tried to get the word out. I tried as hard as I could, but the Epic Skype Group had their little band of people and I saw this place as going nowhere. Zex is back...maybe you could help him implement some of his ideas first? I would help you do it...but I think even you know how bad school can get Shi...if you've ever been around a college, you'd understand. Fact is, some of the people on here are nearing college age if they're not already in college. This makes it hard on site activity too.

The vets don't want to lose anything, and the new members don't want to stay because the system is too strict in areas. We don't need a stripping of the site. What we need is a balance between this system and some sort of a growth system. The easiest route seems to be the slot exchange idea? Why not get some authority from Zex and try to implement it if he's too busy? Like a temporary adminship. Better yet, why not have another admin in case Zex and Roxas are busy to implement these ideas? A wounded horse isn't dead until it runs out of breath and its heart stops beating...point is, there are things that can be done. If the horse is dead, then completely overhaul/start over.

Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkFadHyM5UY&feature=related
Satsu's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2sWWj9RjeQ
Azumi Cho
Azumi Cho

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirou on October 14th 2011, 8:02 pm

The reason I want to start over is because there are so many systems on this site that I want to change to an easier way to the point where it's every system. So in that aspect, it'd be basically restarting everything. But I want to start over with IC so we can not only update the canonicity, but we can basically have a fresh start. I mean, yes, we're have to start all over and lose everything, but we've already lost enough. Why not just go all the way and get it over with? There are so many inconsistencies with the site, most people just ignore them and continue on.

Don't you think it's about time to start over? It's been about four years now. Even when the site got hacked, vets managed to keep their histories and achievements. You can't blame the inactivity on the new system, because the site was pretty inactive before Zex returned. The site is too old and it's too used. All the bases has already been covered. All the bests have been bested. People have done the impossible. What's the point in RPing when everything has already been done? It's like replaying a game you've already beaten. While yes, you get to use your favorite character and your favorite things, but it's just not as fun anymore because you've found out all the secrets, you've beat all the bosses, and you did all the events. Whenever any vet RPs, they have this huge history they just have to address for others to get it. Other vets have moved on, and only a small amount remain. Maybe it's time to start anew, with that brand new feeling, where you know that you can get stronger and that there are new places to explore.

I don't want to reboot because I want an even playing field. We have an even playing field now, and it's going to stay even if there's a new system based on growth. I want a reboot so we can grow once again. So we can choose different paths, meet different people, or even meet the same people all over, but in a different way.

As for needing help? It's not that I'm in need of help and time--making a brand new site would take more effort and time than revising a system. And I've already talked to Zex. He told me that if I wanted this to happen, I need the members support. And it's more than just getting a yes; it's also about having you guys help mold the site to your own liking. So, you guys can stay in this old house that you did not help build, cradling a moldy trophy. The plumbing doesn't work to your exact liking, and the bedroom is too small. Or you can go drop that trophy, leave your house, and go help build one, choosing what is what and where is where, while also earning a chance to win a brand new trophy.

Shirou
Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo on October 14th 2011, 9:17 pm

I did help build this house actually. I was one of the very few that built this site from the ground up after the Site Hack almost four years ago now. I have been around long before you Shirou and I seriously doubt your judgement here.

Perhaps if you aren't happy with the way things are, do something to boost activity. Completely deleting everything is no way to do that. That will only guarantee that you run off the members that remain on here.

If this goes through, I'm gone. It's nothing but a headache dealing with senseless crap like this.

Fsck no it's not going to be all jolly and fun to meet everyone YOU'VE ALREADY FCKING MET...you can delete the forums here all day long, but you can't delete our memories unless you think you're freakin Men in Black or something...We are still going to remember everyone and we will act accordingly, we won't be all "Hey my name is Leo, what's your name?" NO! We will act as though we know each other...BECAUSE WE DO!!! This is ridiculous and has got to be the biggest pile of horseshit I've ever heard while I've been here...

140 Max Magic

Leo
Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Azmot on October 14th 2011, 10:05 pm

Leo, the actions that you so choose will not serve punishment to us, only yourself. You are, and always will be, a free user of this site. That said, you just single handedly spoke for everyone here. Saying that we would all so choose to retain our "memories" is not valid, therefore it is negligible. Also, we are here to discuss the pros and cons of the community as a whole, not about the singular. Speaking about only your own actions will not sway the thoughts about the ones who speak for the entirety of this subject. Boosting activity is not the problem, Leo, and if you really wanted to fix the problem, you would have comprehended that by now. It's about the System not working. What good is a System full of Users that Doesn't Work? THAT'S Horseshit, if you ever saw it. What Shirou is suggesting that we not only start anew, but to clean, sweep, and refine the contradicting System. So please contain your emotional outburst in a neutral discussion.

Now that I have that out of the way, I believe I have compiled a compromise. Zihark earlier stated that he and a couple of people could get together and create the new site. I say we put those efforts into better use. Instead of replacing this site with that one, we have it set up separately, for the time being. We throw up a poll, after a month or two, and see which one people enjoy more. Though, I would suggest that we do the picking discreetly to avoid Bias or Unfair results. We would also have to allow the new site to develop and we hold an event here to boost activity. May the best site win?
Azmot
Azmot

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirou on October 14th 2011, 10:10 pm

Basically...what Azmot said.

Shirou
Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next