» Marionette
Musical Composition-- EmptyDecember 2nd 2018, 2:31 pm by +/-

» suck on my magnum dong
Musical Composition-- EmptyOctober 18th 2018, 9:25 pm by Gemini

» It's my birthday.
Musical Composition-- EmptyOctober 4th 2018, 8:20 pm by Gemini

» EW
Musical Composition-- EmptySeptember 9th 2018, 3:53 am by Gemini

» What are Your Current Plans for Your Character?
Musical Composition-- EmptyFebruary 11th 2018, 7:33 pm by Chastelle

Statistics
We have 3557 registered users
The newest registered user is Shirou Seeker of Duckness

Our users have posted a total of 143994 messages in 12544 subjects

Musical Composition--

Go down

Musical Composition-- Empty Musical Composition--

Post by Etzolix on April 12th 2010, 5:28 am

In your opinion (obviously) what makes a song "good", "great" and/or "amazing"?

Also, what musical preference do you have? (Can be given in genre, video's as examples etc.)

And if you play an instrument/are a vocalist, what inspired you to get into what you're doing?
(And also if you have inspirations of becoming famous off of it.)

This isn't closed off to any one type of music, since the first question is obviously going through all types of music, debating is fun but no flaming guys. :D

In this cold reality,
I made this selfish war machine.
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Musical Composition-- Empty Re: Musical Composition--

Post by PaleoKairi on April 12th 2010, 11:59 am

Huzzah with the welcome back. Didn't really announce yourself, didja?

I'm weird with my music: It ranges so many areas, I've lost count of the shit on my ipod. I have a good 1200 songs on it, mostly all albums. The only things i dont like are rap and most r&b. it bothers me because it's mostly about getting wit them bitches and makin lotsa g's, brutha. it hurts my heart a little, because in my opinion, it's not music, its just backbeat with word vomit. i cant consider it music in any respect. i still want to punch that asshole Soulja Boi. he needs a good smack and a hard reality check.

Most of my music is a mix. I enjoy my broadway musicals, theyre always fun, peppy, and remind you of good scenes with really really good singers. you have to be fantastic to be on broadway, with real talent. i do enjoy my pop, like katy perry (its on my shuffle list right now), and kelly clarkson. but at the same time, i enjoy the emo/pop/punk/rock scene like Panic! At the Disco, with FallOutBoy, My Chemical Romance and Armor For Sleep. As well, I enjoy the harder stuff, like Linkin Park, Evanescence and Paramore. I'm not so with it for the metal, but i do enjoy Lacuna Coil. Yes, i do like country, somewhat, but Big and Rich, Taylor Swift and Rascal Flatts are as far as i go. none of this twangy "she thinks my tractor's sexy" bullshit. tractors arent sexy, boys. i dont care how hot you actually are. theyre NOT SEXY DAMMIT. As for dance music, Lenny and I are on the same Lady Gaga page (though he's crazier than i am), and I'm starting to really like Cascada. It's good to have a chance to dance like an idiot once in a while and get into the fast music.

I'm a bit of a musical fanatic, as i said before. Broadway is going to be gorgeous when i get to see it in a few days (i'll leave a good bye message before i leave for my touristy business). i love singing because its a way to show emotion, no matter what it is. it also just has that feeling that makes other people stop and listen. the bell rang though, so i'll have to tell you guys later about my Sydney Opera House experience. laters.

~314 posts before site hack~
~100 max magic~

Morph wrote:*nude nudge*... NUDEG***...  NUDEZ**... NUDEG** DAMMIT**... NUDGE**... FUCK... *nudge nudge* there! ^^

Ansem: Fine, what was the last sound you heard?
Biccie: it was "blah ragha blargha"
Ansem: No, it was "ragha blarghara", but you were really close.
PaleoKairi
PaleoKairi

Back to top Go down

Post by Riku on April 12th 2010, 2:00 pm

Relatability. A truly great song allows everyone to connect to it, everyone who hears it feels a moment of catharsis. It allows you to forget whats reallly happening, and instead just be arried away by the music.

Also, what musical preference do you have? (Can be given in genre, video's as examples etc.)

If it has a rythm I'll give it a shot.. I listen to a stupiidly wide rannge of songs. my iPod is one of the wierdest ones I know... where in th span of 5 songs you can go from old disney songs, to heavy metal, to country, to rap, to pop. Some of my current favourites are:

Adam Lambert
Lady Gaga
Mudvayne
Reba
Marianas Trench
Alicia Keys
and a few others.

And if you play an instrument/are a vocalist, what inspired you to get into what you're doing?

My Dad. Well that's what started it at least. Since first starting Guitar and singing my muical interests have broadened. My Dad polays just country. I play whatever I like. As such I've drifted away from my dad as inspiration. The reason I stilll do it? Its a way for me to express myself and deal with emotions. If I'm having a shitty day I pick up my guitar and just sing. In no time I forgot why I was sad/pissed/worried, etc.

And yes I would LOVE to become famous for it. I just dunno how to get there lolol

Musical Composition-- Riku-6
Skype wrote:[12:42:17 AM] Joe: i wanna fuck a koala D;
[12:42:20 AM] Lenneth/Hrist: me too
Riku
Riku

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire on April 12th 2010, 4:48 pm

Etzolix wrote:In your opinion (obviously) what makes a song "good", "great" and/or "amazing"?

The lyrics are the single most important thing in a song, in my opinion. They're the message. And without a meaning or message, even the most beautiful voice is flat. Sometimes there can be exceptions, like in songs that are instrumental. After that, the music and lyrics need to mesh. I can't tell you how annoying it is hearing angsty punk rock or depressing pop-rock. If you're a metalhead, be hardcore. If you're a punker, kick some butt.

Etzolix wrote:Also, what musical preference do you have? (Can be given in genre, video's as examples etc.)

Mostly Indie and Alternative. A bit of pop, but I dislike country, rap/hip-hop/R&B, and the like. I love Indie because they have the most soul and passion. Anyone who's ever listened to Maps (Link) by Yeah Yeah Yeahs can't deny the fact that Karen O bared *pure emotion* in that song. The love and heartache is *palpable*. Also, Alternative tends to be filled with more creative people. Shiny Toy Guns, for instance. Carah Faye Charnow, the lesbian-pride ballhating but still incredibly awesome frontwoman. (Link) I mean, their Uber-Hit song, Le Disko is -about- lesbianism. (Anyone who didn't get that... Go sit in a corner.) Then there's Euro stuff. European music in itself makes me hate being American and missing out on the awesome factor. For those that doubt this, see the following links. Hadouken! the Band (Link) Bloc Party (Link) MUSE (Link) Late of the Pier (Link)

Etzolix wrote:And if you play an instrument/are a vocalist, what inspired you to get into what you're doing?

I play the bass guitar. I like it because you have so much freedom with it, without the annoying cliche. Every teenager has tried to learn to play the guitar at some point or another, but only the strong badass types play the bass. I've been experimenting with songwriting, but I can't sing for s--t. I would love to be successful, but I don't care to be famous. I'd love a cult following, maybe, but I'm not cool enough to be Famous. I was musically inspired by my best friend's older brother, Jake. He's an awesome guitarist, and told me that I should find my own instrument. He taught me a little bit about the bass, but the best thing he ever did for me was just give me that initial push.

-Fire out

Back to top Go down

Post by PaleoRoxas on April 12th 2010, 8:32 pm

Might as well repeat the format everyone else is doing, makes it easier.

There are alot of factors that I take into account when it comes to calling music great or amazing. Its mostly cause I have two sets of views because I put classical music in a different place the everything else since I was around classical music throughout school. Im not really good with my music history but I tend to like alot of the composers from what my friends would tell me was the Romantic Era of classical music. People like Mendelssohn and Tchaikovsky are some of my more favorite composers, if any of you have heard Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E Minor (Op. 64). The first time I heard the first movement of that piece I wanted to pick up my violin and find the music because I thought it was amazing. I really like when dissonance is used, your ears can tell that what you are listening to sounds weird like its not supposed to be that way and then eventually it resolves. It gives off a different feeling to whatever you are listening too. I barely understand all this stuff myself because I never took theory or anything, my friends in high school just would tell me about this stuff and show me so i have a slight grasp on that stuff. I remember one time sitting in our chorus room during a free period and one of my friends was studying for her theory test and was telling me about chord structure and things like augmented chords....all of it pretty much went over my head. Music is alot more complicated then it seems, music majors have it hard, its not as easy as some think. Especially with the types of people who work with classical music....you know those guys are all old fashioned and sometimes have very large sticks up thier asses and give you a hard time over some trival things.

When it comes to things like what you hear over the radio, lyrics never really meant much to me really. I mean of course the lyrics have to make sense and convey the feelings of the writer of those words, but if the music behind the words sounds as generic and similar to every song out there then you really don't have my attention. I like it when people try to be different and use things that other people arent into thier music. Though im not a hard ass over it, if the music fits the mood then i like it. Songs that are great also tend to make me remember things that were happening when I was listening to them specifically. Alot of memories pop up when I listen to the songs that I listened to those days. Every single time I listen to Eiffel 65's Album Europop I just remember the feeling of riding around the island with 3 of my friends just driving for the hell of it, blasting out Blue(da ba dee da ba [die? di? i dunno what the last one is..who cares the song is freaking great]). Songs like that are great and having memories that incorperate with them just make them better. Every time I hear Bohemian Rhapsody all I think of is the parties the whole music department of my school would have at the end of the year cause that would always be the final song before everyone says goodbye. Memories like that are always great.

Well....I don't really have any preferences. I pretty much have a little bit of everything on my zune [cause Ipod's suck, and whoever else here agrees with me is the best]. If I flip right through it quickly I have things like classical, jazz, metal and songs that are different languages from some of the cds of music in spanish my dad has and of course the songs from things like Kingdom Hearts and anime like Cowboy Bebop. Even though I don't play it I do like the Bass alot and its the reason I like Jazz music too, we had a Jazz group in our school but I couldn't really get involved in it because I can't really play any of the instruments they use but I would've if i did. I really like it when then just improv stuff, being able to just play what comes from your heart to a great beat I think is really awesome and they always blew me away when they performed at our concerts. I really like movie soundtracks too, John Williams is a musical god, i just had to say that. Hans Zimmer is another really good Movie soundtrack composer. Great music make great movies too, especially in things like suspence and horror movies...i doubt you would jump out of your seat as high as you normally do if there wasnt some creepy music playing. I also have alot of the music I played in the senior year of high school on my player. The Father of one of my good friends in Men's Choir runs a recording place and brought a bunch of recording equipment to each of our concerts and recorded it and put it on cds for us. Listening to it is always great. It sometimes surprises me how we sound, it's different from hearing it while you are in the middle of playing it. If anyone ever wants to hear it I could probably email the mp3 files over to you guys.

I've been playing the Violin since Elementary school and only really sang during the last year of high school in a men's group. I didn't really have an inspiration to get into the violin, I was pretty young when they asked us if we wanted to get into music. They gave us these pieces of paper with the pictures of specific instruments and you had to circle it if you wanted to play it or just say you didn't want to. I really don't know what made me pick the violin, i just picked it, i barely remember what was going through my mind, i just remember sitting there and circling it. But what did inspire me to keep playing no matter what was the people I met in the orchestra. I barely remember orchestra in elementary school, but in middle school and on was really memorable because those people went on with me into high school. I've known them for 7 years. Our conductor moved up with us to the high school because they offered her the job and she was like a second mother to each and everyone of us. She wouldn't always be the nicest teacher around, she was known for her "death stares", but everyone in the orchestra understood her. The people in the band right next door to us never understood how we could deal with her but we did. And honestly if she wasn't like that we probably wouldn't have been half the orchestra we were during high school. We went on to a bunch of competitions and held our ground against some performance arts schools who are all about music, while we were just a regular high school. The music department of that school was one of the biggest parts of my life and I will never ever forget that place. Senior year there was really amazing too. Thats when i started Men's Choir since my friends in orchestra who were involved dragged me in there. Honestly I would've never joined up if they didn't literally grab my hand and drag me there. Our instructor was a great guy and easy to get to know, he would always joke around but also be serious about our music. He was really proud of us that year because he thought it was honestly the best year he had instructing the men's choir in a while. It was alot of fun and I am glad I got invovled in it. I don't think of myself as a great vocalist but I have an ear for notes and can sing decently, I don't think I am soloist material but put me in an A cappella group with my friends from men's choir im sure we will entertain you. In my own opinion I was good but not amazing at both the violin and at singing in the men's choir, I mean especially with some of the people around me, some of my best friends have played in places like Carnegie Hall and even went all the way to Italy just to play their instrument. I don't really want to go for fame or anything in music, but if i ever get the chance to play or sing with my friends from high school I would really love to do it. Music was just my thing, it still is. For those invovled in it, it is something you use to define yourself. People ask what kind of person you are, you mention a lot of things but musician is always one of them. You arent trying to show off, you just been living with music and couldnt see your life any other way. The people you have met through music are some of your greatest friends, some of the best memories you've had has invovled music, some of your shining moments in your life has involved music. I don't know what caused me to circle that tiny picture of a violin on that piece of paper all those years ago, but I couldn't think of living my life any other way. I'll always break out my violin and play a couple of piece at the top of my head, I'd like to learn to play the bass and sax one day, I'd love to get together with my friends from high school and play through Mozart's Requiem [Dies irae!!!] or The music from the first Pirates of the Carribean. Music will always be a part of me, regardless if I get money and fame from it or not, which I'm really not betting on since its not on my list of things to do.

Edit: oh yeah, we had a group name for our Men's Choir. We came up with alot of names, since our instructor wanted us to have one that had something to do with music. Don't ask me the name though, I never really liked it..it was kinda stupid -_-. But some of them were kinda funny, like Staff Infection...of course that one was a joke. For those of you who get it, nice to know you are music kids like me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trent on April 13th 2010, 8:27 am

I always pay attention to the lyrics, the message or multiple messages in it. i can never listen to those songs on the radio it's just depressing to me. I also like songs that have a catchy beat to it.

I'm fond of artists such as The Birthday Massacre, Broken Iris, Muse and Depeche Mode. Which lets just say it changes almost everyday. The Birthday Massacre puts alot into they're lyrics and i can relate to most of their songs. They're lyrics are dark but the music is mostly upbeat and catchy but sometimes abit creepy (Lover's End is a creepy song ><). Broken Iris has very inspriering music and i love their songs like The Scar, Where Butterflies Never Die and One Track Minded Age. Muse is still one of my favourites with awesome lyrics from thought of a dying atheist and they have a different selection of songs. I really wished i could have seen them in Toronto.

I don't, lol wish i did though

Mp: 60 (Darkness, Wind, Fire)
Theon's MP: 30 (Light, Cure, Earth)
Trent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on April 13th 2010, 12:50 pm

I like the beat and/or the sound of it. I also like songs that make me think about myself. What I mean is, make me feel introspective. Make me view my life as a grain of sand, or things like that. Yes, I'm angsty.

Ahaha. I have a lot of preferences, but mostly J-Pop such as Utada, the Vocaloids (their songs are funn :D), Berryz Kobou, things like that. Also, just regular pop or bands like Panic at the Disco, The Maine, Relient K, Red, Linkin Park, etc. I'm very diverse, but I dislike country.

Well, I'm a vocalist. My mother inspired me, because when I was younger (think 6 or 7 here, people) she always sung in the living room, and I literally thought she was my hero. When I got older (10 & 11) We'd always sing in the car together and things like that. I have aspirations to become famous. Just because it was her dream, but she didn't accomplish it. So, I want to do it for her ^ ^

Back to top Go down

Post by MorpheusZero on April 13th 2010, 3:35 pm

I Was Humming One Time, Then I Farted--And It Was In The Same Pitch I Was Humming....Weird.

http://www.snsclan.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on April 13th 2010, 4:46 pm

XD Wow, can't say that's ever happened to me before. But it sounds attractive. [/sarcasm]

Back to top Go down

Post by Trent on April 14th 2010, 7:04 am

MorpheusZero wrote:I Was Humming One Time, Then I Farted--And It Was In The Same Pitch I Was Humming....Weird.

Now that's talent. ._\\

Mp: 60 (Darkness, Wind, Fire)
Theon's MP: 30 (Light, Cure, Earth)
Trent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum