» Marionette
Shield Use EmptyDecember 2nd 2018, 2:31 pm by +/-

» suck on my magnum dong
Shield Use EmptyOctober 18th 2018, 9:25 pm by Gemini

» It's my birthday.
Shield Use EmptyOctober 4th 2018, 8:20 pm by Gemini

» EW
Shield Use EmptySeptember 9th 2018, 3:53 am by Gemini

» What are Your Current Plans for Your Character?
Shield Use EmptyFebruary 11th 2018, 7:33 pm by Chastelle

Statistics
We have 3557 registered users
The newest registered user is Shirou Seeker of Duckness

Our users have posted a total of 143994 messages in 12544 subjects

Shield Use

Go down

Shield Use Empty Shield Use

Post by Balendin8 on November 1st 2009, 11:36 am

(Please read the whole thing before passing judgment)

I suggest that shields be allowed to be used in the proper fashion before 500 posts. Apparently, shield and sword styles are forbidden until over 500 posts as of currently.

I was told that wielding a shield and a sword is considered two weapon fighting and thus forbidden to me at my low amount of posts.

My character was created saying that he had a shield as part of his armor and that he used it in his fighting style. I created my armor saying it was part of it. Both were approved, but when my character went to strap it onto his shield arm to add more protection as a piece of armor people started jumping all over me.

Why? They thought I was trying to duel wield.

My shield is not a weapon. Dictionary.com says a shield is, “a broad piece of armor, varying widely in form and size, carried apart from the body, usually on the left arm, as a defense against swords, lances, arrows, etc.” Wikipedia puts it as “A shield is a protective device, meant to intercept attacks, either by stopping projectiles such as arrows or by glancing a blow to the side of the shield-user.” Thefreedictionary.com says its “A broad piece of armor made of rigid material and strapped to the arm or carried in the hand for protection against hurled or thrusted weapons.” My shield is armor.

Unfortunately we have Goofy. Goofy wields a shield because he dislikes weapons (thus admitting that he doesn’t believe it is a weapon), but essentially using it as a weapon is what he does. My character is not Goofy. My character is not adept or trained in shield bashing and he has no intention of using it in that respect.

It still has the potential to be a weapon right? Well I guess it does, but so does any piece of armor. I could hit people with my bracers, I could kick people and hit them with my greaves, and my character could take off his chain shirt and hit people with it. Does that mean he is carrying 7 weapons on him counting his sword and shield? Just because something has a potential to be a weapon does not mean it is one. Anything can be used as a weapon.

“Also even if a defensive item have you tried fighting with two weapons in reality? It takes physical power and stamina to sustain it, we assume by the time you have reached 500 posts that it has been through RP and your character has had the experience to use 2 weapons, whether one for defense or both just offensive.” An interesting perspective by Chicken.

First off, I am not trying to fight with two weapons. I am trying fight with one weapon and use a piece of my armor in the proper fashion.

Also I must admit I have not tried to fight with two weapons in reality. Heck I haven’t really tried fighting with one weapon in reality. I don’t physically fight people. I am a relatively peaceful person and usually do not use violence to settle my problems. Once again I point out that my character is not trying to use two weapons.

My character though is a warrior. It is what he is good at, but really it doesn’t take that much training to use a shield. For the most part all you need to do is hold it there. A small shield like a buckler or targe would require some skill to use since you would need to move it around a lot to block most attacks, but larger shields would not have that kind of freedom of movement. Maybe moving it a little bit up, down, to the right or to the left, but mainly it just sits there on your arm. Even an average strength and stamina low class man-at-arms could do that. Two weapon fighting is nothing like using shield and sword together. Two weapon fighting was far more common in Asian nations such as Japan and China. Notable examples of fighting styles that incorporated two weapons being used at once are Shuangdao and Nitōjutsu. These would take high prowess, ability, stamina, and training to master. Shield use is far more common in the western world. The use of the sword and shield together is not nearly as difficult or demanding as fighting with two weapons.

If a character wants to have a shield and does not use it as a weapon, but simply wears it as a piece of armor; it is my suggestion that the character be allowed. If the character uses it as a weapon then obviously it should not be allowed to be used in conjunction with another weapon until he obtains the proper amount of posts to wield two weapons together.

Thats just my two cents. I hope you guys will give it some consideration.

Sovereign of Beast's Castle in Exile

Max Magic: 110
Elements: Earth, Cure, Fire
Theme Music: Soldiers of the Wasteland

[22:33:21] Zihark : I didn't know lenny died?
[22:33:29] Zihark : how long did he stay after he died
[22:33:47] Etzolix : Uh idk.
[22:33:55] Etzolix : He let himself die cause he wanted to live.
Balendin8
Balendin8

Back to top Go down

Shield Use Empty Re: Shield Use

Post by Etzolix on November 1st 2009, 11:58 am

How is the staff going to be able to watch to see if people are using the shields the right way if we go through with you're suggestion of just leaving it there and not using it to attack? We'd have to check every topic to see if everyone is using it right and not using it for a trick of dual wielding to attack or anything of the sort. I could go on more but, that alone kind of makes this invalid because we can't watch all the new members that don't know the rules, especially since they're are some who are using 2 swords or 2 guns and are violating the rules right now but some people don't see it because the staff can't keep track everything, so this method is the safest way to make sure people don't do anything against the rules but some do anyway because they don't read them.

In this cold reality,
I made this selfish war machine.
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Post by Balendin8 on November 1st 2009, 1:04 pm

Thats fine. The staff seems to be pretty good me, but if you guys can not handle it then so be it.

People are going to break rules and sometimes the staff is not going to be able to catch them all. I simply want to use my shield as the armor it is suppose to be. I am just pointing out that my shield was not a weapon and that by not allowing it you are banning an entire piece of perfectly fair armor from being used in its perfectly fair intended fashion.

I will wait until I am allowed to use it by your standards, but as I pointed out any armor could be used as a weapon in conjunction with another weapon. Although I do not think banning all armor would be a good idea.

Honorable people are going to follow the rules and dishonorable or unknowledgable people are going to break them. Weather or not you ban shield and sword styles it is not going to change how the latter people act. Your just punishing the people who are not breaking the rules. Also the rules are really hard to follow since not every single rule is written down in an orderly fashion in one place. I find rules all over the place and many can be interpreted different ways.

The rules are the rules and I will do the best to follow them. I thank you for at least looking over the suggestion instead of just saying no without reading it.

Balendin8
Balendin8

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirou on November 1st 2009, 1:21 pm

you know balendin, you can create either an enchantment or something that can get around the rules. like, make it so magic can cover your arm and only can block certain objects, like claws, but it useless against flesh. or something along those lines.

[23:25:24] Zihark joined the chat on 10/17/2011, 11:25 pm
[23:27:16] Zihark : I SUSCEDE SHIROU VELOX, YOUR IDEA WAS BETTER

[02:13:16] Etzolix : YOU WON'T
[02:13:18] Etzolix : I GOT YIMA ON A LEASH

[1:41:03 AM] "Ansem": I only have
[1:41:09 AM] "Ansem": 500 munny
[1:41:20 AM] "Ansem": ....IMA WELFARE PIMP

Shirou
Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post by Balendin8 on November 1st 2009, 1:44 pm

I have had an idea. If I add a magical effect to the shield which forbids the user for using it for offense; I should legally be allowed to use it while its attached to my left arm and hold a sword in my right hand. I will post it into the Weapons and Armor section and see if it gets approved.

Balendin8
Balendin8

Back to top Go down

Post by MorpheusZero on November 1st 2009, 8:29 pm

I got another idea...... No. -_-

http://www.snsclan.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jet Enduro on November 2nd 2009, 12:20 pm

did i hear someone try to say they are gonna get around the rules?

that makes me laugh....A LOT HAHAHAHA

-_-

Chicken: How do you Hear silence you dumb bitch?
Jet Enduro
Jet Enduro

Back to top Go down

Post by Jet Enduro on November 2nd 2009, 3:32 pm

Shirou wrote:you know balendin, you can create either an enchantment or something that can get around the rules.

-_- Yea....dont PM me ass hurt when obviously there in plain text says get around the rules....

then later make a approval topic HAVING something trying to get around the rules....

Chicken: How do you Hear silence you dumb bitch?
Jet Enduro
Jet Enduro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum