Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
MarionetteDecember 2nd 2018, 2:31 pm+/-
suck on my magnum dongOctober 18th 2018, 9:25 pmGemini
It's my birthday.October 4th 2018, 8:20 pmGemini
EWSeptember 9th 2018, 3:53 amGemini
Statistics
We have 3557 registered usersThe newest registered user is Shirou Seeker of DucknessOur users have posted a total of 143995 messagesin 12544 subjects

Go down
Etzolix

Extended Attributes

on April 3rd 2015, 11:11 pm
Although, this already exists to some degree, they should be clarified.

An extended attribute (temp. term) is an attribute of the character that fundamentally changes the way they operate. They used to be classified under enchantments, however, due to their nonmagical nature, they would be immune to counter magics.

Someone cannot negate magic of someone who has natural, additional arms. Although, ext. attributes typically have their own drawbacks. These extra set of arms can be targeted, which means they can also cause the character to bleed out, etc. etc. To restore the arm would take the same magics required to store an actual arm.

While I feel this is obvious now, if the system were to ever change this should be kept in mind for proper implementation.

Currently, I'm bringing this up for discussion. Typically, there are drawbacks associated with these attributes, so would additional extrasensory abilities count as magical phenomena?

Where do we draw the line?

-If you want infrared vision as an extended trait, you must sacrifice your normal vision.
-If you want infrared vision as an extended trait, you have to switch between it and your normal vision.
-If you want infrared vision as an extended trait, it's an additional sense that does not affect your normal vision.

Essentially, how much sacrifice should we require, and what are reasonable limitations on additional senses? Can it be justified that these new senses can be overwhelmed the same way an additional limb can?

In this cold reality,
I made this selfish war machine.
Yima

Re: Extended Attributes

on April 4th 2015, 5:26 pm
This is more a conversation of what we ourselves should build into the extra ability (exceeding a ordinary human) to make it more of an ic occurrence that makes sense ans fair?

"There is a fine line between genius and insanity; I use it as a jumping rope"

Feel free to send me any feedback you have about site and or ideas.  ^_^

If you have a topic that you want to discus at length to improve the site please do so in the suggestion section so we can all be a part and move forward from there together.

An Amv I Like
Etzolix

on April 4th 2015, 11:27 pm
It's about defining traits. We have general ideas for spells, summons, and enchantments, but traits/extended attributes work differently. In order for people to better understand implementation, we need to define how they function.

In this cold reality,
Demetri

on April 12th 2015, 8:14 am
I think for obvious reasons, it should cost just a little. Like, I wouldn't want to relinquish all of my vision so that I can see someone's body heat through the wall. However, I would think of it as beneficial for plot. If it slowly melded with my normal oular sense, until it would inevitably overlap my normal eyesight, officially making it unable to turn off... At least not through natural occurance, maybe potions or anothor visual effect would have to take form.

At the very least, nobody can complain. You'd get to walk around as Riddick; thats awesome!  If you want my opinion, I'd say the first choice. Something close to it as I explained would lean more in my favor though.
Etzolix

on April 12th 2015, 4:36 pm
What would happened when it overlaps? You have normal eyesight and infrared simultaneously?

Although, technically, infrared is a sixth sense, which I suppose is my issue here. Sixth senses are inherit benefits without drawbacks other than, "A new sense that can be overwhelmed / tricked," but is that enough justification? Or is that equivalent to the justification of "extra arms means extra weight, extra exertion, new ways to be attacked, etc."

In this cold reality,
Shirou

on April 12th 2015, 4:41 pm
I would think the second option would be the better one of the three. Kind of like a temporary exchange. You can't have both at once, but you can use both. Gives you more flexibility and a slight advantage. And in my opinion, any weakness or disadvantage should be natural, not something that is forced.

[23:25:24] Zihark joined the chat on 10/17/2011, 11:25 pm
[23:27:16] Zihark : I SUSCEDE SHIROU VELOX, YOUR IDEA WAS BETTER

[02:13:16] Etzolix : YOU WON'T
[02:13:18] Etzolix : I GOT YIMA ON A LEASH

[1:41:03 AM] "Ansem": I only have
[1:41:09 AM] "Ansem": 500 munny
[1:41:20 AM] "Ansem": ....IMA WELFARE PIMP

Demetri

on April 12th 2015, 4:46 pm
I mean when it overlaps, I would assume it works the same function a dominant gene would, masking the ability to see normally anymore.

if you have a tail or extra appendage, of course you'll weigh more. At least I assume so, but it would be the same as liting a regular arm or leg right? In which case I don't see it using any extra exertion unless you use it for large period of times without resting it.

^This could be the same for the infrared as well, everything needs time to heal up. [When a person runs for too long they puke. When they fous on something too hard they get headaches.]

To much of a good thing is a bad thing, so just establish durations and if you pass the duration... A drawback does tak me place? I don't know if I made sense or not, trying to help the best way I can though.
Etzolix

on April 12th 2015, 5:06 pm
Should we put durations on normal eyesight, because they can also get tired? I don't think that's the solution, since extended attributes fundamentally behave differently than anything magical, because they're not magic. They're supernatural, sure, but they're normal aspects of the character.

Using your wings too much will get you tired, but having them extended (opposed to retracted in your body), wouldn't get you tired anymore than not using your other limbs.

I suppose the discussion leans more towards sixth senses -- an extra sense -- as in, something that isn't related to any of your other senses.

I'm assuming it'd be treated just like limbs, and with the rest of your traits in the "don't go overboard." in terms of character building.

In this cold reality,
Yima

on April 12th 2015, 6:05 pm
I like the idea of traits being its own thing with its own template and falling into put effort out equating to what you are getting as are the base principles. Duration(s) are one option along with static stamina drain which goes with most things a person does which comes down to personal and group judgement(s), cooldowns once a ability is used also could apply (even changing depending on circumstance like how long the ability was used), and more though they all serve as mediums to portray our characters and support a balanced system. That said I would like to see different techniques used where they make the most sense which will be case by case scenario.

The elaboration helps too. If I had to make a cooldown ability off the top of my head in a way that makes sense to me I could say that each time the ability is used within a set time its cooldown increases say that the effort to cast the spell isn't what does it but the draw on a certain areas magic energy.

Post durations are the funkiest to me though since on that scale often the content of the posts can have varied amounts of time and effort from weeks to seconds for example.

"There is a fine line between genius and insanity; I use it as a jumping rope"

Feel free to send me any feedback you have about site and or ideas.  ^_^

If you have a topic that you want to discus at length to improve the site please do so in the suggestion section so we can all be a part and move forward from there together.

An Amv I Like
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum