I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Marionette
Questioned Leadership and Glorified Suffering EmptyDecember 2nd 2018, 2:31 pm by +/-

» suck on my magnum dong
Questioned Leadership and Glorified Suffering EmptyOctober 18th 2018, 9:25 pm by Gemini

» It's my birthday.
Questioned Leadership and Glorified Suffering EmptyOctober 4th 2018, 8:20 pm by Gemini

» EW
Questioned Leadership and Glorified Suffering EmptySeptember 9th 2018, 3:53 am by Gemini

» What are Your Current Plans for Your Character?
Questioned Leadership and Glorified Suffering EmptyFebruary 11th 2018, 7:33 pm by Chastelle

Statistics
We have 3557 registered users
The newest registered user is Shirou Seeker of Duckness

Our users have posted a total of 143994 messages in 12544 subjects

Questioned Leadership and Glorified Suffering

Go down

Questioned Leadership and Glorified Suffering Empty Questioned Leadership and Glorified Suffering

Post by Shirou on September 20th 2014, 9:47 pm

Q1. How do you think an owner should act? Should the method of leadership be the same regardless of the person behind the mantel or should there be adaptation in the method?

Q2. Do you think the current owner is doing an adequate job as an owner? What do you think he could do better? What do you think he's already doing well at?

Q3. Do you think the site is as bad as some people (like myself in the past) have made it seem? Do you think it is without hope and we are at rock bottom, or do you think that we have exaggerated our misfortune?

Q4. What do you think of the community? What could be improved? What is already good enough?

Q5. How do you think you are as a member? Do you think you contribute good things to the community? Do you think you contribute nothing? Do you think you are poison?

Q6. How honest were you with your answers for these questions? If you felt you couldn't be honest, how come? Do you fear the wrath of those you might offend? Another reason?

=========================================================================================

Think of the above set of questions as a survey. You don't have to answer them, but I would like it if you did. I'm putting my own answers below. I would like to ask of you, if you decide to take my survey, that you be honest yet respectful. Or, at the very least, polite. These aren't meant to stir things up nor are they meant to call anybody else out. I'm genuinely curious about the mindset of the members on the site.

=========================================================================================

A1. There are certain expectations that a leader/owner must fulfill and as long as they do, the way they do that shouldn't be important. Results matter.

A2. I think Yima is doing the best he can, but I also think that things could be done slightly differently. Changes that require Yima to exercise a large amount of trust that he may yet not be ready to do. And I can respect that.

A3. I think I have underestimated the state of the site in the past. I check the site occasionally and I'm surprised by how much interaction and activity there is. New members are joining, topics are being made, and there is actual discussion being made.

A4. Again, I think I was mistaken. The community may not be the best, but it is still (I think) strong. I think we've been dwelling on the past and have a tendency to pity ourselves. I think we should toughen our skin. If somebody disagrees with something or does something not liked, deal with it. Swallow our pain and pride and move away from it. Finally let go of grudges and be open to trusting people again.

A5. I haven't been a very good member. I've been self-righteous and arrogant. I've realized this recently. I got caught up in my own idea of how things should be that I actually valued that above friends. I think I was poisonous. But now, I hope I'm no longer that.

A6. I would like to believe I was pretty honest.

[23:25:24] Zihark joined the chat on 10/17/2011, 11:25 pm
[23:27:16] Zihark : I SUSCEDE SHIROU VELOX, YOUR IDEA WAS BETTER

[02:13:16] Etzolix : YOU WON'T
[02:13:18] Etzolix : I GOT YIMA ON A LEASH

[1:41:03 AM] "Ansem": I only have
[1:41:09 AM] "Ansem": 500 munny
[1:41:20 AM] "Ansem": ....IMA WELFARE PIMP

Shirou
Shirou

Back to top Go down

Questioned Leadership and Glorified Suffering Empty Re: Questioned Leadership and Glorified Suffering

Post by Etzolix on September 21st 2014, 5:11 am

Meh, people aren't really interested in these discussions. They prefer to actually RP and whatnot, so that's an improvement that I support.

Activity is picking up and the lack of drama is part of that, since drama frustrates people and scares them off.
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Questioned Leadership and Glorified Suffering Empty Re: Questioned Leadership and Glorified Suffering

Post by Azmot on September 21st 2014, 11:03 am

Q7: Do you think XXX is Pinky?
Azmot
Azmot

Back to top Go down

Post by Etzolix on September 21st 2014, 11:10 am

I think that counts as harassment.
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hikari on September 21st 2014, 11:58 am

Azmot wrote:Q7: Do you think XXX is Pinky?

Stop bringing this up in public areas of the site. It will not be condoned.

"Playing hero gets you nowhere if you aren't ready to act."

Kingdom Hearts RPG Moderator
Resident Asshole
Hikari
Hikari

Back to top Go down

Post by Belysa on September 22nd 2014, 3:12 pm

Here is my completely honest, absolutely un-ascinine response.

Q1. How do you think an owner should act? Should the method of leadership be the same regardless of the person behind the mantle or should there be adaptation in the method?

An owner is someone who presents a positive influence to people. It's a person people just generally look towards for the overall feel of a community, whether people like it or not. Human beings simply gravitate towards leadership--that's just how it is. It's an individual who can be active and open to people. It's a person who can say: "This is what we're doing, these are the rules, this is what we expect, and this is what we're doing to help out." In our case it needs to be a person who is adamant about reviving the website's activity through the means of advertisement and planning in order to ensure that people aren't bored.

I learned something from FFworldz. You cannot trust your users entirely to ensure that they aren't bored. It doesn't work like that. You can't depend on them wholly to entertain themselves. Sometimes, you have to give them things to do. It doesn't have to be the job of just one person. That's what the rest of the staff is for.

Q2. Do you think the current owner is doing an adequate job as an owner? What do you think he could do better? What do you think he's already doing well at?

Not at all. Not even a little. I'm sorry, but I have to be honest. I like you as a person, but this is getting out of hand. This is Roxas all over again, but instead of letting go like he should, Yima is dragging this out in the most painful way possible.

Mike. Come on. You're never around. You're barely active. You pick horribly inexperienced people to get into high positions, and the ones that are experienced and good at what they do, you drive away because you are stubborn as hell and the other members of your staff are EXTREMELY lazy. Your former staff members have testified, y'all really don't do much.

There is NO successful method of ANYTHING that involves sitting around doing nothing...except maybe growing moss. You can't wring your hands and expect a solution. You can't stand off to the side, even if you want to. Passion is what drives people, and the whole staff is just lacking in it. A website mirrors the reflected passions of the staff--and if you don't have any, how in the hell do you expect the rest of us to? If you bake a cake and you present it to people with a "meh" attitude, why are you surprised when everybody sees it and goes "meh"?

Q3. Do you think the site is as bad as some people (like myself in the past) have made it seem? Do you think it is without hope and we are at rock bottom, or do you think that we have exaggerated our misfortune?

No. I think it's still salvageable, but people have to be willing to either step up their game, compromise, or just step down. Complaining about people complaining isn't going to do anything but make people more pissed off and won't solve anything.
Maybe there's a reason why multiple people are complaining about the same thing...

It is dead? No. But it might be if people don't nut up and do something. I'd give it about a year, maybe.

Q4. What do you think of the community? What could be improved? What is already good enough?

A community reflects the emotions put out by the staff as a baseline. I can't explain why, but they just do. It's a pattern that just transcends from every forum I've ever been on. The community currently seems hesitantly lackluster, and I can't blame them. Some people are afraid of backlash from others. Other people are afraid of being discriminated against. Some people have blinders on and have no idea what's going on.

But the bulk of it is, is that people are waiting for the storm to die down before they put effort into anything: because if shit hits the fan, nobody wants to have wasted time and effort. The issue is that there are plenty of solutions here, but the people who can MAKE those choices are doing absolutely nothing about it.
Because they think everything is hunky-dory. It's not. People are complaining for a reason. People are upset and not posting as much for a reason. There is a reason why activity is down, and it's not because of school, guys.

We need leaders, and we need people to come up with things to do, and we need people who will actively go out and call attention to this place, and we need things to KEEP people here.

And we don't have that.

And there's a PAINFULLY obvious line of red tape around people that certain people don't like. I find it horribly ironic that people claimed to hate the little cliques from before, and yet formed up into one of their own. Those lines need to be erased. That whole concept is bullshit and it's what got us here on this particular forum in the first place. I know it's against our 'unbiased' code, but people really do need to be friends with one another. That's how we got to have fun in the first place, and now it's just turned into a fustercluck of "them and us". That's not fun. That's boring. And it's showing in our activity.

Q5. How do you think you are as a member? Do you think you contribute good things to the community? Do you think you contribute nothing? Do you think you are poison?

I've (very) purposefully been neglecting posting and commentary just to see how things play out on their own. I don't like what I'm seeing.
I'm also (VERY) purposefully being a sourbelle. Am I normally this volatile? Absolutely not--in fact I don't even enjoy being this bitter. I would much rather be having fun and teaching people how to better themselves as writers, and see people grow and develop.

But, even if I focused entirely on the seven or eight people still here, that wouldn't help this place blossom. It would only prolong the death of this place. I don't want to see that. So I do what I do in the hopes that maybe if I chew on their asses long enough, the staff might wake up and realize they might need to change the way they're doing shit before they run us into the ground.

Am I being poisonous? Potentially. Am I doing it out of spite? I don't believe in it. I'm doing it because my danger senses are tingling like crazy, and have been since I got here. It's taken a while, but other people are starting to get it too. This place is potentially dying off due to a lack of passion and a lack of leadership. If nothing is done about it, it's gonna be ugly.

Q6. How honest were you with your answers for these questions? If you felt you couldn't be honest, how come? Do you fear the wrath of those you might offend? Another reason?

Oh no. I'm being entirely honest in expressing my opinions.
There's nothing that anybody could do to me, or you for that matter. They could ban you, but that'd only be hurting themselves.
So really...there's nothing to be afraid of anymore. Please speak up.

Unrelatedly, I'm sorry you feel that way, Azmot. I was hoping you'd learned not to openly haze people after your last public temper tantrum. I am always open to listening to complaints privately through skype and PM's, and I would like to politely ask that you discontinue harassing my brother. While I personally don't care about you having a fit, I'm pretty sure that sort of heckling doesn't tickle his (or anybody else's) funny bone.
Belysa
Belysa

Back to top Go down

Post by Occam on September 22nd 2014, 3:23 pm

I simply wish to say, sometimes it isn't just staff that drive members away. Nor is it always partly their fault, and sometimes it can be a member or two who intentionally or unintentionally drive them out. You take pot-shots at the staff, or have, often. What doesn't get a site moving forward is letting that happen. What doesn't get a site moving forward is the decision to do that anyways. Community is important, and Belysa isn't the only one taking shots at others. It is inexcusable, and honestly I'm sick of it. But, ultimately, this is my own deficiency that I have. I am ultimately unable to handle it, but I will still say that even when someone shouldn't be banned, they should still work on how they treat the community.

Manipulating others to leave is wrong. Constantly taking shots at staff and harassing them is wrong. Constantly taking the chance to demoralize them is wrong. No matter if there is truth or justification, if it doesn't help. It doesn't help. How is this helping? If you want Yima to stand down, first you need everyone to speak and not after doing some sales pitch as to why, they have to speak for themselves without influence. If they truly feel that way, they should voice their opinion, but otherwise it isn't working. Stop trying to demoralize Yima, stop trying to force his resignation, because all it shows is the incapability to be his replacement. Who does he have that is capable? Certainly not me. Hardly anyone else other than Etzolix, and the few who showed promise...well I no longer trust them to be owner. But another issue is the dramatization we've all been doing. We care too much about OOC in a negative way. We don't just sit down, shut up, and RP and fix issues like we should when the situation arises. We do not do enough RPing to warrant complaints. Of course, we should speak up when there is an issue, but every time? For everything that doesn't need such grandiose composure and with the usual pot-shots at staff?

Also, for those that want an admin to tell them how it is: first you have to follow the rules.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kourage on September 22nd 2014, 8:52 pm

Well, here are my answers. Hope this helps.

Q1. How do you think an owner should act? Should the method of leadership be the same regardless of the person behind the mantel or should there be adaptation in the method?

An owner is there to make sure people have fun. After all, that's what this site is about, right? They make sure people follow the rules and keep the game running. In the words of a character from a musical nobody except me has seen, "The game ain't worth winnin' (or writing, as the case may be) if you're breakin' all the rules." The owner works to improve the site and keep the community functioning. As for leadership styles, each person has his own, and that's perfectly acceptable.

Honestly, I think he's doing pretty well. He gets insulted a lot, but from what I can see, he really is working to improve the site. He asks members for their opinions, and seems to be open to the ideas proposed by the members. He seems to be online every day, as an owner generally should.

I love this site! Sure, improvements could be made, but that doesn't mean it's doomed to extinction. I think the fact that members are coming together to discuss ways to increase activity speaks volumes in and of itself. In fact, the only thing that I've seen that would have the potential to drive me away is the hostility within the OOC threads.

The community is full of interesting characters who are so much fun to role-play with. It's awesome to get to see other people's writing styles, and to write with them. As far as improvements, I just think there should be more role-playing. People spend a lot of time arguing (myself included I guess, since I'm posting this) No offense to anybody of course.

Well, I certainly hope I'm not poison. I spend a majority of my time in RP topics, although I do read over all of the OOC topics in the portal when I log on. I haven't really been contributing ideas, and for that I apologize. I'm new to online RP-ing, and I really wouldn't know much about how to help. I'm willing to do whatever I can though.

I'm pretty sure I'm being honest. I'm not afraid of offending people, I just don't really want to because I would rather be nice. It's who I am. Still, these are my real opinions. Hope this helps somehow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum