» Marionette
Auto-Save Script EmptyDecember 2nd 2018, 2:31 pm by +/-

» suck on my magnum dong
Auto-Save Script EmptyOctober 18th 2018, 9:25 pm by Gemini

» It's my birthday.
Auto-Save Script EmptyOctober 4th 2018, 8:20 pm by Gemini

» EW
Auto-Save Script EmptySeptember 9th 2018, 3:53 am by Gemini

» What are Your Current Plans for Your Character?
Auto-Save Script EmptyFebruary 11th 2018, 7:33 pm by Chastelle

Statistics
We have 3557 registered users
The newest registered user is Shirou Seeker of Duckness

Our users have posted a total of 143994 messages in 12544 subjects

Auto-Save Script

Go down

Auto-Save Script Empty Auto-Save Script

Post by Alexander Carvardukaras on September 3rd 2014, 12:05 pm

The bane of any writer using electronic equipment is that sometimes things just mess up or fail when you really need them not to.

These failings affect critical moments and can change the outcome of various situations. After all, rewriting that highly detailed post is a lot of effort that most people aren't willing to put in the second time. They try to jump straight to their point and this can cause a great deal of personal hardship for them. In addition, there is often a marked drop in quality and delay in posting, causing the others to wait even longer, especially if the blow was bad enough to discourage them from posting for hours if not a whole day.

We've all experienced this at some point or another, where we spent anywhere from half an hour to an hour on a post that we were particularly proud of, then maybe we hit backspace to correct a mistake only to discover that, somehow, the computer decided to take us back to previous page. When we return to that page all that remains is the topic's title, and the post is nowhere to be found. It's infuriating. It's frustrating. And, for some writers that have to muster up a lot of time and effort to make larger posts, it's a huge blow to their blossoming skills.

But, there is a solution to that. I introduce to you the idea of auto-save script. One of my administrators is exceptionally skilled with all things code related- XSS, HTML, BBC, and even programming language. I won't give her credit for developing the ASS, but she did introduce it to me and it had been a huge help on GP and DBU. I think KH would benefit from applying this same code, meaning that if some unfortunate accident were to occur and a person is taken from their post page to elsewhere, or their computer/browser has a forced shutdown due to memory problems or some other occurrence they can simply reload the post and not lose it.

Thoughts?
Alexander Carvardukaras
Alexander Carvardukaras

Back to top Go down

Auto-Save Script Empty Re: Auto-Save Script

Post by Etzolix on September 3rd 2014, 10:29 pm

i vote no. you should all suffer.
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Post by Belysa on September 3rd 2014, 11:30 pm

Other websites have this. I don't see why we have to be stuck in the dark ages. We should be leading by example.

"Complaining about people complaining always fixes major issues! Let's do that instead of trying to find a collective solution by talking it out amongst ourselves as a community and point fingers instead of taking responsibility for our actions! While we're at it, let's attempt to satirize and/or demonize everybody who attempt to make a suggestion! Man, we are way better at this than those other people with experience who are trying to help!"

All RP's with Belysa in them are SUSPENDED for activity until further notice.
[Clickable]
Belysa
Belysa

Back to top Go down

Post by Occam on September 4th 2014, 4:20 am

I vote yes

to burning Gero at the stake for voting no

Back to top Go down

Post by Oriel on September 4th 2014, 4:34 am

The Third Zeikke wrote:I vote yes

to burning Gero at the stake for voting no

I second this.

I also vote yes to the auto save script. Too many times have I pressed backspace and gone to the previous page losing my post. Extremely annoying.

Auto-Save Script Untitled-4
Oriel
Oriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Ander on September 4th 2014, 7:10 am

Totally dude~

Back to top Go down

Post by Occam on September 4th 2014, 1:57 pm

Calum also agrees with me

Let's burn Joe.

Auto-Save Script Burning_turtles-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Etzolix on September 4th 2014, 5:15 pm

killing me is a better idea than this shitty auto script idea

fucking incompetent losers you need to prepare so you dont lose your posts goddamn
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Post by Etzolix on September 4th 2014, 5:15 pm

i would've flamed you all harder, but i lost my post...

i am suddenly all for this idea
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Post by Ander on September 4th 2014, 6:15 pm

XD

Karma bitch!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eno on September 4th 2014, 6:28 pm

I figured everyone here would use word, or notepad, or open office, or text edit, or google docs, or ya know something that you can download that lets you save your work and edit as needed that offers more to helping you write than this little reply box has to offer.

Not saying I'm not for auto-script. I am. It's just that, if you know the possibility of losing your work is high, I figured people would be scrambling to write on something reliable that wouldn't delete their stuff if they hit backspace. And even if you don't have word, or open office text edit is a default program that comes on macs and notepad is a default program on pc's.

Speed of Light

Eno Vale
Level I: 0/0EXP
Level II: 15,000/15,000EXP
Level III: 19,739/40,000EXP
Level IV: 0/75,000EXP
Level V: 0/120,000EXP
Eno
Eno

Back to top Go down

Post by Etzolix on September 4th 2014, 6:36 pm

You can sometimes have your computer crash and be unable to retrieve those documents. That's happened to me in the past.
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Post by Krystal on September 4th 2014, 6:40 pm

Eno wrote:I figured everyone here would use word, or notepad, or open office, or text edit, or google docs, or ya know something that you can download that lets you save your work and edit as needed that offers more to helping you write than this little reply box has to offer.

Not saying I'm not for auto-script. I am. It's just that, if you know the possibility of losing your work is high, I figured people would be scrambling to write on something reliable that wouldn't delete their stuff if they hit backspace. And even if you don't have word, or open office text edit is a default program that comes on macs and notepad is a default program on pc's.

Not everyone write's their entire posts on Word or Notepad or Wordpad (that's a thing) before posting them here. An accidental computer crash, back button hit, or some other third option are a bit problematic. So an auto-save script of some kind would be a bit more useful.
Krystal
Krystal

Back to top Go down

Post by Eno on September 4th 2014, 6:54 pm

Odd, whenever my computer crashes, as rare as it is, I'm always able to recover whatever I write because word, google docs, and open office have auto save functions that prevent you from losing your work in case of a crash.

If notepad, or text edit is all you have and your computer crashes, then basically you're fucked. If that's all that's available to most I can see that it's really problematic if there's a crash. So again, can see the usefulness of the script. Also, until this happens I highly suggest people start using the above mentioned programs unless they wish to risk losing their progress.

Google docs is available to everyone. Just sayin. Also, something i picked up from the Fallout games.

"Save early, save often."

Speed of Light

Eno Vale
Level I: 0/0EXP
Level II: 15,000/15,000EXP
Level III: 19,739/40,000EXP
Level IV: 0/75,000EXP
Level V: 0/120,000EXP
Eno
Eno

Back to top Go down

Post by Etzolix on September 4th 2014, 7:08 pm

google docs also autosaves too, btw
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Post by Yima on September 4th 2014, 7:43 pm

What would initializing this entail were we to go this route specifically?

"There is a fine line between genius and insanity; I use it as a jumping rope"

Feel free to send me any feedback you have about site and or ideas.  ^_^

If you have a topic that you want to discus at length to improve the site please do so in the suggestion section so we can all be a part and move forward from there together.

An Amv I Like
Yima
Yima

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexander Carvardukaras on September 4th 2014, 7:45 pm

Not sure of the details. I can ask my coder, and I can rifle through my admin panels and see what code she used. If it's not hard then I can just provide it, simple copy/paste.

Alexander Carvardukaras
Alexander Carvardukaras

Back to top Go down

Post by Yima on September 4th 2014, 9:08 pm

I appreciate that and I will run it by a few coders I know so I can get second opinions on it and we can have a more solid standard for adding coding to the site. That is seeing so far this is an all go if the coding is a go given the overwhelming desire myself included for this type of option; lost plenty of posts myself over the years and had to retype them o.o.

"There is a fine line between genius and insanity; I use it as a jumping rope"

Feel free to send me any feedback you have about site and or ideas.  ^_^

If you have a topic that you want to discus at length to improve the site please do so in the suggestion section so we can all be a part and move forward from there together.

An Amv I Like
Yima
Yima

Back to top Go down

Post by Harumi/Blossom on September 6th 2014, 1:56 am

This would help a lot of roleplayers out. I agree, this should happen.

[18:04:47] * MorpheusZero shoves an oreo up his ass then farts it out like a cannon
Harumi/Blossom
Harumi/Blossom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum