» Marionette
An added option to canon characters  EmptyDecember 2nd 2018, 2:31 pm by +/-

» suck on my magnum dong
An added option to canon characters  EmptyOctober 18th 2018, 9:25 pm by Gemini

» It's my birthday.
An added option to canon characters  EmptyOctober 4th 2018, 8:20 pm by Gemini

» EW
An added option to canon characters  EmptySeptember 9th 2018, 3:53 am by Gemini

» What are Your Current Plans for Your Character?
An added option to canon characters  EmptyFebruary 11th 2018, 7:33 pm by Chastelle

Statistics
We have 3557 registered users
The newest registered user is Shirou Seeker of Duckness

Our users have posted a total of 143994 messages in 12544 subjects

An added option to canon characters

Go down

An added option to canon characters  Empty An added option to canon characters

Post by Occam on August 21st 2014, 10:33 pm

Something recently done for tidiness

Alright, I wanted to suggest this to Yima but he made the point of bringing it to everyone's attention for opinions.

We require rp samples, but personally I believe that it is better to do a topic than a sample (not saying we're eliminating the sample) and thus even before approval, have a topic showing how you roleplay the character. A whole topic, minimum 7-10 posts each to show how you maintain character. I will leave it up to you, members, if this is implemented whether or not a sample is still needed. In light of recent feedback, we decided to use the rent-a-canon section in tandem with the extended use application process.

Back to top Go down

An added option to canon characters  Empty Re: An added option to canon characters

Post by Alexander Carvardukaras on August 23rd 2014, 8:09 am

Go for it. Anybody can write a roleplay sample for a canon character. It's a small snippet, a few paragraphs at most, that is meant to show if a person is suitable for the part. We are meant to analyze a person's ability to control some of the most crucial characters to Kingdom Hearts from a mere few paragraphs. While that's not to say such a feat is impossible, it's improbable that we get a full feel for the character.

Writing skill can be demonstrated in those few paragraphs, and this is not a knock against that. There are a myriad of great writers who can not play canon characters. It's not due to a lack of skill, but to affinity for those characters, which is a shame but ultimately needs to be non-negotiable. Skill of the writer and affinity for the character must be questioned.

What better way to do that than to have a Sample Topic? I would propose that this sample topic be run by a staff member taking on the role of a GM, and essentially putting that character through the ringer. The topic would ultimately be non-canon, and cover a wide variety of situations and stimulus. These events would range from commanding subordinates to being on the verge of death or defeat. It's not to test for perfection-- even the main series can demonstrate some inconsistency. It is to probe for proper technique to approach these characters. As previously stated, they are crucial, and very special to the franchise which means the site must also treat them with a great deal of respect by giving them the players they need to come to life.
Alexander Carvardukaras
Alexander Carvardukaras

Back to top Go down