I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Marionette
Cross-Dimensional Characters [Reboot Discussion] EmptyDecember 2nd 2018, 2:31 pm by +/-

» suck on my magnum dong
Cross-Dimensional Characters [Reboot Discussion] EmptyOctober 18th 2018, 9:25 pm by Gemini

» It's my birthday.
Cross-Dimensional Characters [Reboot Discussion] EmptyOctober 4th 2018, 8:20 pm by Gemini

» EW
Cross-Dimensional Characters [Reboot Discussion] EmptySeptember 9th 2018, 3:53 am by Gemini

» What are Your Current Plans for Your Character?
Cross-Dimensional Characters [Reboot Discussion] EmptyFebruary 11th 2018, 7:33 pm by Chastelle

Statistics
We have 3557 registered users
The newest registered user is Shirou Seeker of Duckness

Our users have posted a total of 143994 messages in 12544 subjects

Cross-Dimensional Characters [Reboot Discussion]

Go down

Cross-Dimensional Characters [Reboot Discussion] Empty Cross-Dimensional Characters [Reboot Discussion]

Post by Etzolix on June 1st 2014, 11:21 pm

Are we allowing those? Apparently, some people have plans, but I'm unsure if this contradicts any established lore. All I know is that time is cyclical in the KH universe, would this restrict travel from another multiverse?

If no restrictions prove evident, are there any arguments for or against people bringing over characters from this universe?
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Cross-Dimensional Characters [Reboot Discussion] Empty Re: Cross-Dimensional Characters [Reboot Discussion]

Post by Kenos on June 1st 2014, 11:38 pm

We've had many characters that have come from another universe before and ended up here. For the most part, we've assumed that travel is one-way, and we mostly just use the other worlds in the background (however, some characters have actually returned to their other realm and then came back later). Granted, there probably isn't going to be--and shouldn't be, in my opinion--characters going back and forth between our universes. But for them to use this current universe, before the reboot, only as an origin/backstory: I see no problem.

I'm not sure, however, whether the knowledge of characters they've met in this universe will count as metagaming in the new universe. I personally think it won't, since these characters may not be exactly the same as they were before, and that this isn't really the same situation as the same events that occurred here aren't going to occur in the universe after the reboot. Unless someone tries to reenact them.

TL;DR
It should be fine, as long as they don't intend on traveling back and forth or attempt to metagame.

Back to top Go down

Cross-Dimensional Characters [Reboot Discussion] Empty Re: Cross-Dimensional Characters [Reboot Discussion]

Post by Etzolix on June 1st 2014, 11:50 pm

The only implication of multi-dimensional travel is Traverse Town. If we're counting the Kingdom Hearts universe as a universe, and not a multi-verse, despite worlds moving through time at different rates, then Sora has proven in-universe travel.

However, the FF characters only imply dimensional travel between multi-verses. We'd have to establish whether or not multiverses can be traveled through based on their relation to the FF games.

If they're involvement contradicts anything from their FF lore, then they're different incarnations of the same character. If not, then we're left with only an implication, which leads us to the current discussion:

Do we want people to bring characters from other universes, not implied to be from worlds within our universe, in our universe?

I know you and Sorox do, but considering this is still a point of discussion, I know some people would want to talk about it. I'd rather get it out the way now, opposed to after people have already done it and engaged in topics.

My main concern is potential contradiction of lore, really.
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenos on June 1st 2014, 11:57 pm

In my opinion, it wouldn't be really contradicting lore as the games never stated that inter-dimensional travel was impossible. Rather, it would only be expanding on and adding onto lore.

I see it as being similar to the idea of creating the 'Forgotten' beings: we're adding a new aspect to the site that wasn't present in the canon games. However, it doesn't contradict lore, because canon never stated that Forgotten beings never existed--it simply failed to state that they did exist. Understandably, traveling between multi-verses is an aspect on a much larger scale, but the basis of having them would be the same.

Back to top Go down

Post by Etzolix on June 2nd 2014, 12:04 am

With my understanding, which is limited since I don't often indulge in this topic, time being cyclical would prevent travel between multiverses, unless those multiverses had time work the same between them.

However, that includes a bunch of other implications I'm too novice on to adequately explain.
In short, it means those multiverses would have always meant to interact with each other, and always will, and always does.

And, yep, my brain is fried. I just want to make sure there aren't any contradictions, otherwise, I personally don't mind, but I'd understand both why some would want to bring characters over, while others wouldn't want others to do so.
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenos on June 2nd 2014, 1:15 am

I think time being cyclical would be irrelevant in this case. Since the universe after the reboot is a separate universe altogether, rather than the current universe 'resetting' and starting over (at least, that was how it was explained to me by an administrator at the time), no time travel is taking place. Moving to the new dimension after reboot from the old one would not be the same as traveling to the past and changing events, like Xehanort traveling to his past self in an attempt to change the future. The only way this could be interfering with the time line of the new universe is if we set beforehand events that will/must occur. However, since this is a reboot, which purpose is to start over with a clean slate, I assume we will not be doing so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shirou on June 2nd 2014, 7:01 am

Not to mention that this is an alternate dimension, where we're changing how our characters lived. The only events that are staying the same are the ones that have happened in the KH series, and those have already passed by the time the reboot begins. So it's not like somebody can cross over and warn anybody about the Oblivion Wars because they will never happen the same way because the same people don't exist in the same way, or don't exist at all.

In a way, traveling from another dimension won't affect the cyclical timeline because all KH timelines are cyclical, so if somebody travels from another dimension, it was supposed to always happen.

[23:25:24] Zihark joined the chat on 10/17/2011, 11:25 pm
[23:27:16] Zihark : I SUSCEDE SHIROU VELOX, YOUR IDEA WAS BETTER

[02:13:16] Etzolix : YOU WON'T
[02:13:18] Etzolix : I GOT YIMA ON A LEASH

[1:41:03 AM] "Ansem": I only have
[1:41:09 AM] "Ansem": 500 munny
[1:41:20 AM] "Ansem": ....IMA WELFARE PIMP

Shirou
Shirou

Back to top Go down

Post by Etzolix on June 2nd 2014, 3:48 pm

If the lore checks out, and there aren't any contradictions, then we should discuss to what measure we would allow such characters. Kenos had already mentioned his preferred limitations.

At this point, I don't particularly either way, whether they're limited or a, "I can come and go as I please."
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Post by Belysa on June 2nd 2014, 7:51 pm

As someone who played a character like that for like...forever...

I wouldn't suggest allowing it.

I got away with SO MUCH SHIT because of the alternate reality thing. Nobody could call bs on me because...I'd invented everything I was talking about, so who could even call me out on its validity? It was another universe. It was another place. None of the other characters had been there, and I quite literally just made shit up as I went along.

And got away with every single bit of it.

Even if it conforms to the lore of the canon, I wouldn't even accept it. There's just too many holes that can be used and abused, and I PROMISE you it'll happen.

I hate to be Miss Raincloud, but I'm only voicing my opinions based on things I've already seen in the past...and from glancing over at topics that are already up and running.

"Complaining about people complaining always fixes major issues! Let's do that instead of trying to find a collective solution by talking it out amongst ourselves as a community and point fingers instead of taking responsibility for our actions! While we're at it, let's attempt to satirize and/or demonize everybody who attempt to make a suggestion! Man, we are way better at this than those other people with experience who are trying to help!"

All RP's with Belysa in them are SUSPENDED for activity until further notice.
[Clickable]
Belysa
Belysa

Back to top Go down

Post by Azmot on June 2nd 2014, 8:14 pm

multiverses seem fine - all disney worlds take place in the same universe, just at different times, so it goes to show that across the universe time is kind of wobbly. I wouldn't be surprised if through hearts, doors, etc. someone could cross over. Traverse town is a good example, obvi.
Azmot
Azmot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down