» Marionette
Number-Story System EmptyDecember 2nd 2018, 2:31 pm by +/-

» suck on my magnum dong
Number-Story System EmptyOctober 18th 2018, 9:25 pm by Gemini

» It's my birthday.
Number-Story System EmptyOctober 4th 2018, 8:20 pm by Gemini

» EW
Number-Story System EmptySeptember 9th 2018, 3:53 am by Gemini

» What are Your Current Plans for Your Character?
Number-Story System EmptyFebruary 11th 2018, 7:33 pm by Chastelle

Statistics
We have 3557 registered users
The newest registered user is Shirou Seeker of Duckness

Our users have posted a total of 143994 messages in 12544 subjects

Number-Story System

Go down

Number-Story System Empty Number-Story System

Post by Etzolix on May 25th 2014, 2:49 pm

This system is supposed to supplement both competitive, and story-based, roleplays.

First, we give people base attributes. There are 7 categories.

Strength || A measure of how much force a character can physically exert.
Constitution || A measure of how resilient a character is.
Magic A. || A measure of how proficient with magic a character is.
Magic R. || A measure of how resistant to magic a character is.
Speed || A measure of how quickly a character can move their body.
Dexterity ||  A measure of how well a character can move their body.
Stamina || A measure of how well a character can sustain physical, magical, and mental effort.

Next, we give everyone 42 points, which they will distribute across their attributes.

Strength || 6
Constitution || 6
Magic A. || 6
Magic R. || 6
Speed || 6
Dexterity || 6
Stamina || 6

This allows everyone to be good at things, without necessarily being bad at things. However, to be extreme in many, you're going to have to give up some specialties in other areas. This makes it closer to real life, even if not a perfect emulation.

We'd have to define what the numbers are. 5 would be average for a character, whatever that is. However, it would only be average for a level 1 character. Yes, there are levels. In fact, there are 5.

Each level acts as a power multiplier. As you see above, each stat is a 6 at level 1, but if they were multiplied at level 2, then they would be considered 12s. This allows us to understand HOW powerful people are and the difference between them, opposed for people to be assumed as Gods at level five.

However, numbers don't allow enough flexibility. This is where we bring in Niche Attributes. The following is an example:

Strength || 6 (+2 to Heartless) (-2 to Nobodies)
Constitution || 6
Magic A. || 6
Magic R. || 6
Speed || 6
Dexterity || 6
Stamina || 6

Niche Attributes allow your character to be more customizable, however, there are a couple of rules to ensure they're fair. The first is ensuring all your niche's equal 0, which allows the rest of your numbers to hold weight, since they generalize the rest of your abilities. The second would be having it so your niche's never put you below 1 (the universal minimum) or above 10 (the universal maximum). While magic can later allow you to pass your base 10, there is a limit on the natural evolution of characters.

The way leveling up works is based on the system we want to keep. If we want the story system, then all we use this for is reference so people can UNDERSTAND how people grow and how powerful they actually are, however, that can be worked on separately. This is primarily applicable to the new system.

The new system would have people level up based on Word Count of their topic. This allows different rates of growth, opposed to posts, which prioritize rapid, shorter posts. Someone can post a bunch of 100 word posts, while another can post a single 1000 word post and they'll have equal development. Then the rate of how they RP these lengths and etc are applicable.

People would need to total their words after the topic, which would get them Level Points. X words = 1 Level point and Y level points = 1 Level increase. This isn't defined, since that's negotiable based on how long we want people to take in order to level.

There is also a combat system, which is meant to handle situations where people are flaming / arguing and can't get along with combat in the topic. It's a dice rolling system similar to D&D. I'm unsure of the +' and -'s, but those will be dependent on the stats someone has chosen. We'd also need a 3rd party to handle these roles and dictate what actions failed and succeeded, the people having to write things out based on the actions. This is meant to resolve issues when people feel they are being treated unfairly.

This also ISN'T mandatory. It CAN be used for fun, but it ISN'T forced upon people. Also, people can create circumstances where they are stronger or weaker, but they need the environment to provide it in order to justify why people don't do that all the time, but that's a bit harder to moderate and whatnot, so we'll see how the discussion of that goes. Anyway, I hope this wasn't too long.
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Number-Story System Empty Re: Number-Story System

Post by Ace Kageki on May 25th 2014, 5:10 pm

I like it.

:U

Back to top Go down

Post by Belysa on May 25th 2014, 7:30 pm

xD Looks familiar. I love it.

"Complaining about people complaining always fixes major issues! Let's do that instead of trying to find a collective solution by talking it out amongst ourselves as a community and point fingers instead of taking responsibility for our actions! While we're at it, let's attempt to satirize and/or demonize everybody who attempt to make a suggestion! Man, we are way better at this than those other people with experience who are trying to help!"

All RP's with Belysa in them are SUSPENDED for activity until further notice.
[Clickable]
Belysa
Belysa

Back to top Go down

Post by Hikari on May 25th 2014, 8:10 pm

I oppose this right now.

While this system looks alright to me and seems like it'd fix problems with people being overpowered we do have to ask ourselves if overpoweredness is a relevant issue. We're trying to address it and crying out for its injustice to be stopped at all costs so roleplaying can be fun again but the fact of the matter is that I haven't seen much OPness recently. The rules have kept things in check so far and I haven't seen people really abusing their power that much. Nobody's cited topics where things have been out of hand either -- so at this point it seems to address nonexistent issues that don't matter today.

We've been swapping systems too much. People have built up an indecisive mentality; unable to make up their minds and constantly switching back and forth. One of Ander's strongest reasons for backing this seemed to be that our site was being mocked. Others had begun to think of it as a laughing matter and according to context it seemed that he was arguing it was because of this system.

I'd like to state that such a thing doesn't make sense. I remember a site that was once spoken of on ours. I believe it was called Valkyrie. Valkyrie was a roleplaying community just like ours that was the main driving force in us switching to the story system. Some people had been over there and had seen how it worked. Hundreds upon hundreds of ACTIVE players lined up to forge their own stories everyday and enjoy roleplaying. We followed in their step and created the system we have today.

If the story system was the main force as to why our site was considered inferior now why would other sites work under it? You could theorize that our community doesn't have the responsibility to allow such a thing to work but as I mentioned before I haven't seen much OPness going on. In fact, it seems as if things are working perfectly fine right now system-wise. It doesn't make sense for others to be driven away by our system while another site under it blossoms freely. In fact; maybe it's the opposite. On Valkyrie there's less limits. Maybe it isn't a lack of order that's our problem but the fact that we need to unwrap some of the bindings we've placed on our creativity; leaving behind the necessary ones while disposing of the ones we had brought over from old systems. For example, time isn't allowed as an element altogether rather than us simply forbidding overpowered things you could do with. What exactly is wrong with our community is up for debate -- nothing is perfect after all. Hell, we don't have actual statistics in the first place nor do we have any evidence of anyone saying that. If we're to take Ander's statement objectively we need evidence. Even the slightest mistake in memory could prove to be a huge factor in ending the reasoning that we aren't a respected site.

In the end, my point is that I don't see anything this system could do for us that matters right now. We don't have an issue with people being overpowered and there's no factual evidence pointing towards our current system being harmful to the site numbers wise. Overall while this system would work I don't see why it's needed. In its current state it would just limit the creativity and freedom of the site.

If people can provide me with sufficient proof that people abusing their privileges is a common event for our site -- if they can show me that our current system has been damaging our noob income -- I will back this change of system. And if they can't I will stand against it on the grounds that we need to make up our minds, that we need to allow members the creativity they deserve, and that changing to this system is ultimately unneeded.

Link me to the proof or admit there is none. Only then will my stance on this topic be set in stone.

"Playing hero gets you nowhere if you aren't ready to act."

Kingdom Hearts RPG Moderator
Resident Asshole
Hikari
Hikari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sicarius on May 25th 2014, 8:36 pm

I don't think we should really care what our reputation is with other sites. I mean, we just want to have fun. We shouldn't factor in what other sites think of us into our decision.

This system wouldn't be a complete swap out with a whole new system. Etz said that if we still liked the story system that we have now, then this would be more of refining that system to include a stat system that is optional. You wouldn't HAVE to have stats, but it's a way to gauge your power with other people.

Back to top Go down

Post by Takeshi on May 25th 2014, 8:39 pm

I think that refining the system to include the stats would be a good idea, but with the evidence I've seen compounding my personal opinion..I'm starting to think that a reboot is less and less necessary. I'm on the fence is the best I can give right now.

Etzolix wrote:[19:52:18 10/09/13] @ Etzolix : I LOVE DICK
[19:52:19 10/09/13] @ Etzolix : wait FUCK.

Kia wrote:[19:15:02] Kia : What do you expect Cool?
[19:15:11] Kia : We are SAIKOUS after all.

Yima (Talking about The site) wrote:As for the place I perceive it as a zombie; it's never truly dead xD.
Takeshi
Takeshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sicarius on May 25th 2014, 8:46 pm

Rebooting the site isn't so much necessary as it is preferable. The main reason for the reboot is to get rid of old stigmas still held over from the site's history, like the misconception of power and thinking certain people are gods in strength because of their reputation.

There are also other reasons I like the reboot idea, mostly to update the universe on canon as well as fix a lot of inconsistencies with our lore. If you're worried about losing certain aspects of a current plot, such as your Konekuta, you could transfer it over, even if you have to change a few bits.

Keep in mind that while yes, you basically have to start over with your character, you still get to choose your character's history and personality. If you like how Tyler is now, then you can have him be the same way personality wise. If you would prefer not to go through the process of falling in love with Kia and being in a relationship, you can collaborate with her to make it however you want. You could even change it so that your guys' wedding was perfect.

But, just my thoughts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Etzolix on May 25th 2014, 9:02 pm

Like I said, swapping systems won't change anything. The reason the site is failing is because of the community. The fact that talking about the site failing is always the most active topics, opposed to actual RPs afterwards, we can obviously see there's an issue.

Anyway, I'd love for the story system to work, but it won't, unless the community can act like one. To be honest, no system will work, regardless of anything we do ever, without people actually wanting to RP with each other.

Regardless of whether or not we swap systems, I'll always prefer a reboot, since we have so many inconsistencies with actual lore. We use the game to defend ourselves, but then use our 'lore', which contradicts the games, to contradict the games.

I don't care about any character's personal histories, achievements, or etc. I'd rather have a place people can have fun in, opposed to a place where people can have nostalgia about having fun, while not enjoying the current environment. *shrugs*
Etzolix
Etzolix

Back to top Go down

Post by Eno on May 25th 2014, 11:46 pm

Wanted to add in something if this does go through. I am for the change considering that even though I was restricted with what I could do, I liked being able to distribute points among my attributes, and it let me semi-accurately gauge the common Rp'er with my own character. What I didn't like was that the post count equaled the amount of MP you got for your spells. Now through this you have to actually complete your RP rather than just post in whatever you damn well please. Now that's something I can get behind.

Also, if this leveling up system stays, couldn't we do the same thing for Forms and Summons? Just like in the game the more you used them, or the more enemies you slay the stronger the form/summon became.

Speed of Light

Eno Vale
Level I: 0/0EXP
Level II: 15,000/15,000EXP
Level III: 19,739/40,000EXP
Level IV: 0/75,000EXP
Level V: 0/120,000EXP
Eno
Eno

Back to top Go down

Post by WR-105 on May 25th 2014, 11:59 pm

This was rushed, because I had to go to work.

Anyway, when you level up, all your stuff gets respectively stronger, since your stat goes up. However, there would actually have to be rules to define, since we'd likely make cool-down abilities to keep in line with the recent KH games.

Something that determines which spell would win, which can always be nullified for what the participants want to happen in the story, obviously.

But, yeah. Finished topics are promoted. Not to mention we'd want consistency, so I'd promote only 1 topic per character at a time, but since we'd have infinite characters, we wouldn't be limited to one topic.

There's other details, but I'm tired and probably need the right questions to inspire the elaboration.
WR-105

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down